Disappointed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Jun 5, 2012.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

So I found out from my P that I will be teaching without a room next year...again. :( This year was my first year at this particular school, so I understood being the low man on the totem pole meant I may get stuck with some not-so-ideal circumstances. But I was really hoping that next year would mean I could get my own room and finally get my teaching stuff out of my basement and into a classroom!!

I'm the ONLY teacher that won't have their own room...even the new teachers who haven't been hired yet have been assigned a room.

I know this is a pretty silly thing to get irritated about and I should be thankful that I still have a position there (there was talk about lay-offs a few months ago, but it never happened, thank goodness!!), but it still stinks!

Anyone else going to be playing the teach-from-a-cart game? Any advice or organizational tips that worked for you?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

That is disappointing! :(

What is their rationale for giving rooms to new/as-yet-unhired teachers over you?

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 5, 2012

I haven't had a chance to ask yet...I'm off on maternity leave right now. I just got the info through an email the P sent out.

I honestly think it's because two of the five classes I'll be teaching next year are math lab classes, which typically have very few students (I'm talking, like, 5-10 max). Which I get, but I'm also teaching two language arts classes and a math class, which are going to be difficult to teach off a cart!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2012

Definitely ask, maybe they just overlooked you. Hopefully they can work something out where you don't have to switch to too many different rooms.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 6, 2012

Can you find an unused space? Maybe a hall closet. I would rather teach from any type of room, than off a cart.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

This is my 20th year in my building.

This year, because I was taking ove the National Honor Society, I didn't get a homeroom-- the AP figured it would be a whole lot easier for me to pull 100 kids or so for a quick meeting during homeroom.

Of course, the flip side is that I didn't have a room of my own. I'm not even in the same hallway of our LARGE school for any two consecutive periods. Had the courtyard ever been closed to snow this year, I would certainly have been late to two classes a day.

In our school, no one has their "own" room. We all share. When the period ends, the room is no longer yours. Of course the people in whose homerooms I've taught have been very genrous in terms of letting me keep my stuff around. I have a geometry textbook in every room, and I've given extra help every day in the room where I teach my last class. At times I've had a roomful of Calculus kids and totally overtaken Grace's Spanish extra help, and she was incredibly gracious about it.

It's a non-issue in my school, simply part of the job.

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 6, 2012

How do your science teachers deal with this? Do they not teach labs? There's no way I could wheel around all of the supplies I use on lab days. Plus, I need the time in between periods to reset the lab. And I wouldn't want any other teacher teaching in my room during my prep because their students might get into the lab supplies, which would be a safety issue.

9. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 6, 2012

I honestly don't mind sharing a room (I had to do it this year) but the problem is, some of the teachers aren't exactly thrilled about the fact that they'll have to share their room. That's when it becomes a bit of an issue.

I taught in three different rooms this year - two of the teachers were SUPER friendly about it. They gave me my own drawers and space and made me feel welcome. It was still a bit awkward for me because even when I was sitting at the desk, I still felt like it was THEIR desk and THEIR room and I was just there to borrow it. I didn't want to impose too much on their space.

Now the third teacher whose room I shared was an absolute nightmare. She is known for being incredibly clean and organized (almost to the point of having OCD, in my opinion) and it killed her to have to give me some of her space to teach my class. It gave her so much anxiety that one Monday I came into her room to find ALL my stuff completely cleared out. She told me she couldn't handle having my books/papers/pens all over my desk (they weren't all over the desk - I had one TE on the desk and a stack of papers that I left to pass back) so she had the P move my stuff to an empty office.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2012

Oh my! That's a bit crazy! Hopefully you don't share with her again.