Disappointed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cjmcat2, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cjmcat2

cjmcat2 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

So...I got a call about the 4th grade interview that went really well last week. He said I was his top choice until a woman with 4 years experience came in the picture, and he felt like he needed to go with the teacher with experience. He went on to say that I was his very next choice because of how impressed he was with my interview and resume and if any other openings come up that I'd be his choice. He was so nice and then said "although I don't believe you'll be on the market much longer."

I'm just frustrated. How do I get experience when I need experience to get some?! I feel like the school year is starting in a month and I'm running out of options. I've e-mailed every principal I haven't heard from yet again. I'm getting quite a few "Thanks for your interest, but this position has been filled" replies.

What are your suggestions for new teachers? If I end up not getting a job this year, would it be better to substitute in the county where I'd most prefer a job or to try and do a teacher's assistant position? I've heard subbing would be better because I'd get more experience at different schools, but the inconsistency of pay would be my problem. Also, wouldn't a TA job be better since I'd have more consistency with one classroom? Ugh, help!

I had a dream the other night that I got a teaching offer. I can't even explain how amazing of a feeling it was, even if I was dreaming. I just want my own classroom of students. :(

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

You'll get it. Give yourself a day to feel bad if you need it. Go get some ice cream or do something to make yourself feel a little better. Then tomorrow get right back to it.

Both of my last two positions, I was hired in the last week in July. There were more hired after me. Don't give up!

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

You were so close... The next one is yours. And he will remember you and might even offer your name to another P that is looking. I would definitely send a thank you and reiterate that you would like to be considered for any future positions.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2011

IF you don't get a job for this coming school year, then definitely look into subbing. It's a great way to get that experience. The job market is TOUGH all around. Teacher's like me who DO have years of experiences (I have 6) are having a hard time getting jobs. And, at least the P really did like you, which is good. And it never fails that a school district hires at least one teacher after the school year starts (I got two jobs after the school year started). So, don't give up all hope.

6. Picabo

Picabo Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

In the past 5 years, I've been pink-slipped three times. Last year, I wasn't rehired until two weeks after school started. The numbers are changing all of the time. Stay strong!

That principal will remember you if a position at his school becomes available. He may even recommend you to another principal who has an opening.

Hugs to you- I know it's frustrating.

7. cjmcat2

cjmcat2 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

Knowing that there's a great amount of teachers who get hired close to/after the beginning of the school year makes me feel some relief... I just hope that'll be the case for me.

It's frustrating because I KNOW I could make a difference in the lives of my students. I KNOW I can see growth in each and everyone of them. I just can't SHOW that until someone takes a chance and hires me as a new teacher. Blah.

Thank you guys for all your help! I don't know where I'd be without the advice/support of this forum.

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I was hired in October for my first job, and around here, it's really not uncommon for new teachers to be hired after school starts. I've had friends who've gotten jobs halfway through the year!

Don't give up hope!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

I hear the dedication and desire in your voice. You WILL find something. When I meet teachers like you that show that desire and passion in an interview, I really want to hire them.

Do get on as a substitute while you are waiting. You never know when a long term subbing job will turn into a full time position. We had a teacher go out on maternity leave last year and decide not to come back. The teacher tried to talk the district into job sharing her job and coming back 2 and a half days per week. But they just did not want to go for that idea. It is a shame because I have seen that successfully done in other districts and she would be an awesome teacher that would be paid part time, but put in full time energy.

So, keep looking but just in case have your back up plan. (It is still early though - we had three new positions posted this morning.:D

10. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

cjmcat2, you will get there. Like you said, the only reason you lost out was due to experience. Get a TA position or apply for a substitute position for every district in the immediate area if you want stable work. The summer is not over, but if you don't get a position this year, gaining experience and networking within districts is the best way to increase your chances the following year. :)

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 11, 2011

I got my first job on August 24th! I had exactly 4 days to get my room ready. It was hard, but I was so excited that I didn't care!

So don't give up...if he sees you as someone that good, others will, too. It will happen.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

Send that principal a handwritten thank you note, asking him to please keep in touch if he, or someone he knows, has another opening.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

Our schools used to and might still use the third Friday enrollment to determine if they need to add positions due to increases in enrollment. That being said, "downtown" often projects enrollement lower than it should be, so most often principals will "hire their own back" first. However, many of our neighborhoods have been rapidly changing due to the continual teardown if public housing amongst other things. So some schools are getting unexpected influxes in enrollment