Disappointed--Plagiarism

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

I'm marking my students' final writing assignment. One of the girls wrote beautiful poetry--half of which I found online in a quick Google search. I hate this!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

How are you going to handle this?:eek:

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2011

The same thing happened to me with one of my freshmen. They honestly don't think we'll notice. He got a zero for the assignment and a referral for academic dishonestly in his file.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 13, 2011

:(

6. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

There is a special tool for searching for plagiarism as well. I cant remember the name its copy something. Anyway it detects it as well.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

There are many sites that check for plagiarism. One of the most used and most reputable is www.turnitin.com. Most professional educators are aware of this site or use the ones to which their districts subscribe. Amazing that students think they won't be caught with such widespread use of such resources.:dizzy:

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2011

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I'd approach the student that you are sad that she didn't have enough faith in her own ability to express herself. Offer her another chance to redo the assignment with her own words and that will be the one you accept for credit. That way she isn't mad at you for catching her but at herself for letting you down. I just love Consequences with Empathy.

9. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

I dont know if I would give her a second chance. Maybe I'm flying off the broomstick so to speak but I would discuss the issue with her parents. Cheating is a serious offense and should not ever be taken lightly.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 13, 2011

Is this 7th grade? I'd allow them to redo.

11. Victoriassecret

Victoriassecret Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

If it were college , there is no way that it would fly and I would make the student well aware of that. But if it is junior high or high school it all depends really. What is your schools policy on it?

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2011

My kids made it easy. They either neglected to change the font to match the rest of their paper when pasting, or they gave me something that sounded like a graduate theses, complete with discussions of "stratigraphic analysis." or, sometimes both.

I was insulted that they really thought me that stupid. I wasn't allowed to give them zeros though--I had to let them redo, though they did get suspended.

I don't agree with suspension as a punishment for most things; usually it just puts kids at risk further behind and less motivated to try to catch up.

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 13, 2011

I agree with your comment about suspension. I've made kids re-do the assignment after talking to them about plagiarism AGAIN, but I'm in middle school. If they don't re-do it, they get an F for the assignment. I also call home and talk to the parent about what happened and what I expect.

14. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 13, 2011

How do you plan to deal with the issue?

I give them a zero. It is in my policies in the begining of the year. Plus, like some of you mentioned they don't even try to change the wording or font. It is very obvious. My current problem is that it happens a lot in 5th grade, I teach sixth. I have kindly asked the teacher to let them know, and she said there is nothing she can do. She posts their work outside in the hall way so that is how I found out.

I briefly mentioned it one day when I had to substitute for her during my conference. They were telling me how excited they were to come to my class, I figured it was a great chance to let them know I don't accept that kind of work. They didn't seem to care. It was very upsetting.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

If you let her redo, I'd make it half credit or something (at the very least knock off a letter grade). I think the lesson that you value her words is good, but you don't want to just have no consequences for cheating. If you just let her redo it for full credit, she'll just learn that she can get away with it.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2011

Here's the answer I like best. Okay guys, the more I post lately, the more I see value in the thread about how we should have a "like" button.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and will probably spend much more. She's in grade 8, elementary school here, not high school or college. Giving a zero, or failing her on the assignment isn't an option. She did submit more than she needed to (assignment requirement was at least two and a half pages of writing, she's given me almost twice that much), some of which is original (she wrote it is class). I'm going to talk to her privately today and show her the printouts of the poems I found online. I'm going to ask her what she thinks the consequence should be. I think that she'll be harsher with herself than I will be. I'll let her resubmit the assignment, up until Friday at which time I'll evaluate the quality of the work she did. Her "responsibility" level on her report card will go down, however.

18. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2011

Maybe--depending on your school's policy and the deadline for final grades--you could put it in her file and talk to the student and her parents. Allow her to make it up just this once for an adjusted lower grade--lower than full credit, but a chance to raise her grade from what it is now.

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 14, 2011

That sounds like a fair approach. Some kids really don't "get" it! I have taught this over and over, yet I know kids are still copying straight from websites. Luckily they do a lot of work in class, so I can catch them and help them re-write their research in their own words, but it certainly is an ongoing lesson. Most of them aren't trying to be sneaky or malicious.

20. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

At our school, we take plagiarism VERY seriously. The first offense results in a grade of "0" for the assignment, and the second results in a suspension. After a third offense (which I have yet to see or hear about), the student receives an automatic "0" for the the course in which they plagiarized. Our principal was a former university professor, and according to him, we have to send the message early, because if the student keeps up the habit in post-secondary, they will wind up expelled from their institution.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 15, 2011

This happened to me when I was grading a high school essay while student teaching. I had just been to a certain website the night before and remembered the paragraph (word for word) when I read the essay. My cooperating teacher did not do anything about this. Not even a redo.