Disappointed & Mad with Parent's Decision of Gift Exchange

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Dec 22, 2008.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2008

I agree. The "range" of $4.75 to $5.00 was a little restrictive. If a person can get a deal on a book, then great! And if the book was only $2.99 originally, is that bad? Also, the parents who spent over the limit complicate the program as well. You have used books, average books, and book sets all being traded...

I truly like the concept, but I wouldn't do it in my classroom for several reasons. I know you feel the parents "goofed big time", but I think it is amazing that all parents brought something in--private school or not. This wouldn't register as a goof at all with some of the parents I deal with.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

When I used to do gift exchanges, I had extras for kids who forgot or whose parents were not able to get one to send in. However,14 years ago I had a boy who brought in a used cross word puzzle book that looked like it was pulled from a flood. He was so proud that he had something to give and I was proud that, even in his tough family situation, he cared enough for the other students to participate. So, as a teacher, I ensured that his book was pulled by one of the adults in the room. The adult acted thrilled and the student was happy he was able to make someones day.
    As a parent and teacher, I just want people to remember that most parents try. If a parent buys a more expensive gift she may have wanted to send in a special book, she got it on sale, it is the only type of book that is available to the store on the way to school, it is in her stockpile of gifts, etc. If it is too cheap it may be because it is what she can afford (or wants to afford) or it is what she can get her hands on that day.

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

I was reminded of this thread as Jeannie opened one of her gifts Thursday. It was a chunky Garfield book- 2.99 from Ollie's. She loves these, and I grab them everytime I see one.

4. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Dec 26, 2008

We no longer do gift exchanges among the students in our 3rd grade classes. Some children did not bring something in and there was no way they were to be penalized. So we teachers always had extra gifts for those students. Then we started to see that some families could not get the needed supplies for school and that really told us that gift exchanges were out. The kids never missed the exchanges. They were too busy enjoying cookies, juice and playing with each other.

5. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

Dec 27, 2008

I'm glad the book was returned to him, I'm guessing it was the child's favorite book. Just the fact it was worn & the child was still thumbing through it at school! Maybe mom couldn't afford anything else.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 27, 2008

I agree that the price of the book shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as it is a decent and appropriate book. Giving a book in that terrible condition is just plain disrespectful and inconsiderate. Since you said the parent actually was one of the first to bring it in it doesn't seem like time was the issue.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2008

:)Mom & Dad own their own business which is doing really great she says. Also, she gave us a beautiful gift (my aide and I).