Disappointed because I'm feeling burnt out.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bewlove, Jan 31, 2016.

1. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jan 31, 2016

I decided to become a teacher five years ago at the ripe age of 19! I have loved my profession. I worked at a school, and that was what inspired me to get started on this career path. I was so proud of everything I was doing while in school, LOVED my student teaching experience, loved my first year teaching and my school. Last year as a first year teacher, I felt confident in my skills and I loved what I was doing. I looked forward to going to work every single day!

This year, I have moved to a new school. I am really struggling this year. I am at a great school as far as students/parental support (especially compared to last year), and I have great admin, but something is just....different. I feel so much pressure put on me all the time for observations and student performance. It's the most frustrating feeling to teach your heart out and then look at test results and see that you have kids that aren't getting it. It's been no secret here that I struggle to work alongside my team leader, as I feel she is constantly putting me down and making me feel inadequate (although, that has somewhat improved). I'm finding myself on Sundays (like today) just dreading going to work tomorrow.

And I am disappointed in myself.

What happened to me? This was the profession that I loved! When did I become that teacher that only made it through the year by counting down until the next break? :( I don't want that to be me. I've identified that what I am struggling with is the evaluation aspect, as in the pressure of observations and student performance on tests. Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for this, and then I get so upset at myself for allowing myself to feel inferior and inadequate.

Words from the wise?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 31, 2016

What I'm getting is that you're feeling like this mostly because of your team leader constantly putting you down and making you feel inadequate. Something like that might not sound like a big deal, but this negativity can really ruin your day and diminish your enthusiasm.
    Not all students will always get it and we can't change the world every day. That's ok. I think you might just need to change schools, or better yet, find a diplomatic way to let your teamleader know that you're trying your best and a little support, instead of constant criticism or put downs would really help.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Hiyateacher

Hiyateacher Rookie

Jan 31, 2016

:hugs:I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way! Trust me -- you are not alone. I'm doing my internship and I don't know if I will make it until May. I worked at a school and became passionate about teaching and now I'm finding myself questioning my life choices. Feel free to pm me if you feel like you need to vent. You are not alone!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 1, 2016

If your team leader won't change even after you talk to her, it might be time to switch schools again.
    I worked a school that was just awful. I was burnt out and stressed due to bad administration. I was only there for one year.
    I moved to a new school after 3 month of being unemployed. I was super picky. I turned down a few offers too! And the school I ended up in was just AMAZING. I fell back in love with teaching. I had amazing supportive coworkers, parents, and admin. I was super sad to leave... I guess I could've stayed but I didn't want to do a long-distance relationship!! LUCKILY, I work at another great school.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 1, 2016

Different school environments can be night and day. The school I work at, pretty much no one cares about test scores and such. All they really care about is if students are learning and having fun. If your current environment isn't that welcoming, I agree with thinking about relocating. You sound like a passionate teacher and one that enjoys their students. Be very discerning in the next school environment that you choose. Ask to speak to your admin and department head and take the time to interview 'them' before taking the job.

I think people forget (both teachers and admin) that an interview goes both ways, and it's not the teacher just groveling for a job from the admin. I've experienced interviews where the principal thought I should be on my knees begging to work for their horrible and horribly managed school. When my principal reminded me that I was also interviewing them, and to ask any questions I needed to, I knew I found the place I wanted to work.

otterpop likes this.