disappointed again and confused

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Sub2Teach, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 14, 2006

Well, I just found out that I did not get the job I interviewed for last week. They didn't even call me for a second interview. I really thought this was the one. I'm so upset, I was crying earlier. I got a rejection email tonight saying i was "knowledgeable and interesting" and the principal "enjoyed our conversation," "wishing me the best of luck on future endeavors." Not exactly the words I was waiting to here. I did a powerpoint presentation a couple days after my interview and sent it to the principal thinking an electronic portfolio hoping it might help my chances of getting called back. But obviously I wasn't what they were looking for. I don't know what to do. I get so excited when i finally get an interview and now only to learn he's recommending another candidate. What is it I'm not doing? What's wrong with me??? Is there a way to follow up with this principal to maybe find out why I didn't get the job??? :confused:

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 15, 2006

You can certainly ask him why you didn't get the job, but if he doesn't want to tell you then that's that.

Yes. Rejection is tough. We're all told things we don't want to hear. But that's just a part of life that none of us can change.

I've been on interviews myself where I thought that job was the one and wasn't. I know it's not easy getting out there and plugging away, but that's how it's done. If a person is dedicated and persistent then the dedication and persistence will eventually pay off.

Be excited, but don't be THAT excited every time you get called in for an interview that you think that's THE ONE. My guess is that you may be a little overconfident and they're picking up on that. Be confident, but never overconfident. Too much confidence can kill.

Just go in and be yourself. The rest will take care of itself. And look at it this way, if you don't get called in for another interview or get offered the job then perhaps it was truly never to be from the start.

4. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

You did the best you can and that's all you can really do. Trust me..I'm in the same boat. I'm the same way though. I get my hopes up too often. I should not be too excited if I get an interview. When does school start in your area? Remember, maybe because of enrollement, they do hire the first couple weeks of school. My friend got hired on the 3rd week of school. Keep your head up and don't give up!!

5. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 15, 2006

i've heard that a lot...getting hired after school starts. that's what i'm hoping for now! school starts this week in my town, so time is running out for me =(

6. Ctinevo1

Ctinevo1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Kermy: Where are you at in California? Yeah that's what I'm waiting for too. Have you gotten an interview? good luck!

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 15, 2006

Hang in there. It is so hard to hear that you weren't their choice. Especially after you think you did so awesome. It has happened to me over and over.

When something does come your way, you'll be all the happier! HUGS!

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2006

You gave it your best shot! there were probably thousands of applicants for one position. Be happy that you at least got an interview, that means they saw potential in you. Just keep on trying.

9. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Yep, and continue to show your enthusiasm to teach. The kids are what we are all in this profession for right? As long as you are devoted to them then I know you will eventually get the right job! Keep trying!

10. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Hang in there!

Hi-
    I was crying earlier too because I thought I got hired for a job last week and didn't. Now I'm crying again because I'm reading your message and I have no idea who you are, but I know EXACTLY how you feel! You are not alone. All I can say is, don't take it personally, I think there are lots of reasons why we may get to be a finalist and not get chosen---there just may be someone plain better for the job than us---or, budgetary, political, and personal favors---these reasons we cannot control no matter how well our interview goes. Do the best you can...and kiss up and make yourself and your enthusiasm and professionalism known to as many teachers/administrators/anyone in any way related to the school system as you can! Hang in there!

11. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 15, 2006

sub2teach: im so sorry. It can be extremely frustrating, but just remember, you didnt get this job, because your meant for another. Keep us updated!

12. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Also maybe its a good idea to try and find a personal way to connect with the principals/team members that interview you. The last two schools I interviewed with (one being hired from) I connected well with the principals. The first one graduated from my college so we talked about professors and such. The second one collected Lladro, a company I used to work for, so we discussed her favorite pieces. The personal connections could also be vague like noticing something in her office that peaks your interest and you asking about it. Does this sound like your kissing up too much? I don't have much interview practice except for all of this summer, and it was a tool I used.

13. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Aug 15, 2006

Thanks for all your support and encouragement. I appreciate it. It helped me to know that I'm not alone and that it is tough, but as hard as it is, I've got to keep trying. I did contact the principal to see if I could get some feedback to improve for future interviews and he said that their were over 400 applicants applying for the position and it wasn't really anything I did or didn't do. It was more a case of they found somebody who had a strpmger background in the area of primary reading instruction, which made me feel somewhat better. Its hard getting these rejections because its hard not to see it as reflection upon yourself, but its a learning process. I'm glad to have found this website and to have wonderful people on here to share my experiences with. It means a lot that you all care. Thanks for your support. I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!

14. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 15, 2006

I totally agree and that's exactly what I did when I brought in the College of Lake County (CLC) and discussed how I spent most of my life at CLC just struggling to get my Associates degree when they asked me what connections I had to Grayslake (their community).

If you can find that one little way of connecting, that's all it takes! :)

15. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

And I wish you the best! I hate the fact that there are so many wonderful teachers out there, but its so hard for us all to find jobs. I think I took advantage of the fact that I was supposedly graduating from a top notch school and that just because I graduated from there and had a lot of great references then I would get hired, I never thought it would take me as long as it did!

Keep trying!!!

16. kermy

kermy Companion

Aug 16, 2006

i'm from northern cali, chico. I have had some interviews and not all for teaching. i'm starting to look at instructional assistant.

17. skiteach

skiteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Hi again--
    Yes, I have also found primary reading instruction is my weak link in interviews-so, I can relate again! My experience has been upper elementary, so I feel really strong when it comes to reading comprehension strategies,etc., but interviewing for the lower elementary jobs kills me. If you want lower elementary, write down all the questions from the interview that related to reading and work on your responses---write down a scripted response and practice it. Ask for help from an experienced reading teacher that you know. I haven't found a classroom myself, but I have been interviewing, and I do feel that my interviews are improving---I'm not as clueless on those reading questions. I've decided to take an IA job to start the year at a middle school. Not exactly what I'm certified for or what I envisioned for myself, but I had a great talk with the principal and I just have a gut feeling that in the long run, there might be a classroom for me there in the future. We actually talked a lot about non-teaching stuff during my interview---hobbies and stuff--which, being a new teacher is SOO much less threatening to talk about and I think it helped her see my personality. I had a few interviews this week, and that was my strategy---when there are so many good teachers out there looking for jobs, new and experienced, you have to change your strategy and try to sell them on something else besides your teaching. What makes you different? I've been going for that strategy, and I have felt so much better coming out of interviews. I'm getting closer!!! Just a thought

18. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Good for you Skiteach, good luck with the IA job!

19. draket

draket Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

I know how you feel as well. It is really hard sitting back waiting to see if you get the job that you feel the interview went great. I am still waiting for an answer and school starts on the 21st. Everyone tells me that a perfect fit will come along. How long do we have to wait? I get just as excited as you and maybe that is why it is so hard to take the rejection of not getting the job. I am sorry for you and I am also crying after reading your post because I know exactly how you feel. Good luck next time and remember jobs will probably open up after school starts. Well that is what a principal told me.