Disability

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by juhesihcaaa, May 18, 2010.

1. juhesihcaaa

juhesihcaaa Rookie

May 18, 2010

Okay, this has probably been asked before but here goes.
    I'm debating about filing for Social Security Disability Benefits for some mental health issues.
    My question is, does anyone know if that will show up when I go to get a teaching job?
    I would hate to find out that no one will hire me because I'm getting disability for mental health. I don't really care if disability shows up. I'm more concerned about the mental health aspect of it and that showing up in something like a background check. I really have no idea how it works and any/all advice is welcome!
    Thanks!

3. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 20, 2010

I am not sure how it works either. I am wondering if you can contact a social services representative or even your state department of education and ask them.

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 20, 2010

It's much harder to file for a mental disability than a physical one. If you do manage to file successfully, though, I would be careful. There is still a lot of bias against mental illness, and many people do still see mental illness as a matter of will or weakness. On another level, employers may be well-informed but still weary about hiring someone who goes through episodes of some sort or who relies on a strict medicine schedule -- a liability issue in their eyes. On the other hand, it could serve as a nice sieve -- that is, anyone who hires you is likely to have a deeper understanding of mental illness, which may in turn, translate into becoming part of a very nice school atmosphere.

5. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 21, 2010

Some schools have had bad experiences with teachers that are unstable (just because you have a mental illness, doesn't mean you are unstable, but not everyone is going to think that.) I know of schools hiring ESD employees with moderate to severe bipolar disorder, or manic depressive. Those ESD employees are very open about this, and the ESD is very understanding/non-judgmental.

However, I would be very careful. You just don't know how various schools will react.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 21, 2010

I've been on SSDI for years, and none of my employers were ever aware of it, to my knowledge. Unless I told them.