Director wants 217 day school year

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by ahodge79, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 29, 2011

Just curious- does anybody else work at a school that has more than 200 days of school? There aren't any other schools around here that are like that. It wouldn't be so bad for just me... but I don't think that's the best for my own children. Basically that makes the year have 3 WEEKS of summer "break"; 2 weeks at winter; 2 for spring break. The staff do not like it, but the director doesn't care. This schedule goes out soon to the parents and that should be interesting.... she says "if you don't like it, then leave" (it's not that big of a school). Of course she knows there aren't any jobs though...

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

If you have a lot of families where both parents are working, I'm thinking that they will probably like it, unless there is a huge spike in tuition. Will teachers be paid more?

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 29, 2011

They do want to increase pay (I'd rather have the time off though).... hard to tell overall about the % of double working families, but I can see that as a pro for it. Another thing though is that we have a lot of international student in the HS part and this eliminates a lot of their time to go home to see family.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

How many days of school do you have now? I have 180 student days and I think there are 191 teacher days and that is more than enough for me:lol:.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 30, 2011

Emotionally, I think I'd go insane. I work 180 days +12(?) teacher days right now.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Around here, the expense would be prohibitive, as schools would HAVE to be air conditioned, and so few currently are.

To be honest, it might lead to more and better education. As a group, we're always saying we have too little time to do all the things we would like to be able to do; those extra 40 days would certainly give us the opportunity to teach more.

But to be honest, I wouldn't love it. I ADORE those lazy days of summer and would hate to give them up. And I would hate it even more for my kids. I think that kids need some time to just be kids-- to hang out and see where their imagination leads them, to swim and ride bikes and just unwind. To reduce summer to just 3 weeks just seems so sad to me.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

I'm assuming you work in a private school. The private school that I work in has 210 days. It includes all of the regular vacations and a 6 week mandatory summer program. We also get 3 weeks worth of vacation days to use whenever we want so it's really like only working 3 extra weeks I guess. In the summer we go to the pool and do a lot of outdoor activities too so there's less lesson planning.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2011

You only work 19 more days than I do but I get more holidays during the school year.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 30, 2011

I'd be interested to see how the students react to it! Even after teaching 160 days at my private school, my students are on summer vacation in their minds around day 140. :)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

From the perspective of an educator, I think that a longer school year is a good idea. We're not living in a time when most students need to be pulled from school to help with the summer harvest, so there's no need to remain on that sort of schedule. A longer school year would mean that students could spend more time practicing skills so that they could achieve true mastery.

From the perspective of a regular person, I love having summers off. I'd be devastated if I lost them.

Tough call.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 30, 2011

At the same time, is adding extra days to our school calendars really going to make the students any smarter? I've read research where its really not about how LONG students are in school but how they're taught. I tend to agree with that idea.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2011

I'm on record as saying that a longer school year would be beneficial if the amount of material to be learned in a given amount of time remained the same. But if the policy wonks think that kids going to school 220 days a year will result in sixth graders doing calculus and writing theses on Keynesian economics, then we have a problem.

14. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Mar 30, 2011

What I've read suggests an abundance of research supporting summer learning programs. In addition, exposure to curricula (time taught) is a massive variable - opportunities to respond, actual (vs. allocated) instructional time, etc. - definitely huge. Still, I definitely think that how kids are taught huge too!

15. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 30, 2011

yea... well it is starting to leak out but they find out monday... I'd like to see what is going to happen!

16. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 30, 2011

our director mentioned about that this was an old calendar and we don't need it and all... that kids get into trouble during the year.... that you end up having to review.... but isn't FAMILY time important too??
    Glad to see at least one person who works over 200 days. (217 is just student days... doesn't include other days).. 19 days doesn't seem that long until you haven't finished school yet and it's August! (and we will definately be needing AC then too!) gosh do most kids really NEED that much time?? I think I'll be taking that raise and send my kids to day camp!

It is surprising to me that I have run into a lot of people (not from the school) who think it might be good, but NOT ONE staff at our school does.... (although our PE teacher mentioned he wouldn't mind the extra practice time for sports)

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Would he really be able to do practice though?

I know around here, practice schedules are very tightly regulated. Football practice may NOT begin in any school before a particular date, for example.

I can see that kids who are in generally better shape will be better athletes, but I'm pretty sure that real practice simply wouldn't happen.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Most families I know have two working parents. Kids who have summers off would spend those summers at camp, daycare, or some other place away from their parents, because the parents still have to work. I'm not sure that summers off necessarily equals more family time, unless you're talking about families of teachers.

19. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Mar 30, 2011

well I think that is most peoples' point about the 2 working parents.... but I'd rather let them have fun in the summer at daycare or camp than slaving away all year at school.

I don't know about all the PE stuff.... we're in a league this year... but there is no football, I think it's soccer and maybe basketball.

20. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Apr 6, 2011

That sounds awful! But I guess it meant having a job or not, I'd choose the job. I think kids need and deserve a longer break than that! I don't think my kids would really be able to pay attention after awhile!

21. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Apr 7, 2011

exactly... wear out... schedules were mailed to parents and they aren't happy. One parent I was worried would be a supporter (two working professionals who are very academic focused; also has 3 kids in the school) is AGAINST it... whew. Disaster! We're being forced to sign contracts for fear of being replaced (there are people who would take anything...). She is pushing away parents.... conviently (sp?) this happens right before our two week spring break...

22. sahsjing

sahsjing Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

I taught more than 210 days in the last couple of years.

But this is because I taught 6-week summer school. Our summer school class is very small, and students generally try very hard. It's my pleasure to teach summer school even though the pay is minimum (20% of what I earned when I taught the other summer school many years ago.)

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 17, 2011

Our kids get a 5-6 wk summer vacation! Students come back around the 23rd of Aug. Our last day, this year, is July 1st, which is early!

This year we had 1 1/2 wks at Christmas, a 4 day weekend for mid-winter & 2 PD days. We do get the Wednesday before Thanksgiving & the Friday before Labor Day is state mandated. I don't remember if Memorial Day weekend is a 3 day or a 4 day weekend.

I've heard that with Christmas being on a Sunday this year that we go all the way until Dec. 23rd & return Jan. 3rd.

And no, I don't get paid extra for being an almost 11 month school year. The school is in it's 2nd year of being charter, before that it was private. They're trying to maintain the same philosophy, just not Christ centered and no tution.

24. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

In DC, some kids are in school 25% longer than other children. I like the idea of a longer school year.

25. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

I think my new school in DC states that our scholars are in school 25-40% longer than the average DC student. We have an extended day and a slightly extended year.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 20, 2011

My school has 210 days plus teacher work days. It is very easy to burn out. I am now looking for a job that has a traditional calendar.

27. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 20, 2011

I take back my original statement about extended school year. Based on last year's calendar, my school was in session for students for around 185 days. Teachers were in school for 214 including 3 weeks before school started for a summer institute. Our school day, however, lasts from 7:15am-5:10pm. I only teach 4 classes and get 2 55 minute prep periods each day. I think the school day is how it was calculated that my school's students were in school for whatever the percentage is above normal DC students. Our school also has a saturday academy (not mandatory for teachers to do because it's extra pay) and a summer school session (which I don't believe is mandatory for teachers, either). The school has seen amazing gains in achievement and consistently scores above average on the DC-CAS.