Director frustration

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by dianafish, Sep 4, 2007.

1. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Our director is having us label everything in the classroom. Which is fine, because I understand it is the standards. BUT today she lets us know that the first letter of each word must be capital! She couldnt have let us know that last week??? we spent all last week labeling everything. ARGHHHH tomorrow is parent night and the kids start Thursday. I am so frustrated!!!!!!!!:mad:

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 4, 2007

Ask her why it has to have a capital letter!

It is NOT the first letter of a sentence! It's just a word standing alone.

4. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I did ask, why if it isnt a proper noun. I thought that only proper nouns and the beginning of a sentence. She says it is state regs

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 4, 2007

I don't believe that.

Is it in writing (that it has to be a capital)?

6. Paula

Paula Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

I feel the same frustration. Just tell me everything the first time! I'm happy to do it your way, Ms....., just quit changing requirements. Which hall do you really want us to go down to lunch, which stairs to take for recess, go to the line or to the table at lunch? Which copier am I really supposed to use?
    It is really maddening to be told something different every time we do anything!! Why don't they have this stuff written down and edited by the secretary who always knows the real story?

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2007

I don't believe it either. Look up the state reg yourself!

8. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Sep 4, 2007

:lol::lol: I love this!

9. dianafish

dianafish Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

I would look up the regs myself, but she gets really annoyed with teachers when they argue about her decisions. She changes her mind all the time, after the fact. It is extremely frustrating! I am in such agreement with you Paula

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 5, 2007

Well, of course she would get upset - that would mean YOU would know what was supposed to be going on! ;) I'm sorry, it would be incredibly frustrating to be told one thing, when you were actually supposed to be doing another. I would still look up the regs though - you cannot be fired for something like that.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 5, 2007

Sorry, but it is not appropriate to capitalize the first letter of a word standing alone. This is so frustrating for teachers to explain this to kids. I would ask her where she read that (nicely) and explain why it is wrong to capitalize the first letter. Names are the worst - don't teach kids to write their names in ALL CAPS! :soapbox:

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2007

I would too. Maybe it will make her think. Might make her irritated, but oh well! She'll live.

Tasha, amen about the names!

13. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

Well I will have to disagree with you Tasha. For the past 2 years I have taught PreK students. We always teach our children to write their names in all uppercase letters first. Children learn and recognize uppercase letters before they do lowercase letters. We too have to label everything with uppercase letters for the entire word.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 6, 2007

It may be that they learn to recognize and write all capitol letters first because that is what you use in the room. If it has always been that way, then that is what they see. Kids learn to recognize names of tv characters with the first letter capitol. They would pick on whatever is used in the classroom as long as it is consistent and a brief explanation is made to remind them why some letters are capitol and some are lower case.

15. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

We were told to change our "center" signs because they started with a capital letter. So now all center signs have to start with a lowercase letter. I know every year it's something else! We were just told two years ago that our center signs had to start with a capital letter (LOL) If you let this stuff get to you, you'll go CRAZY!

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2007

Tasha I am with you. I have talked to SO many K teachers who get frustrated when the kids are taught in all caps, because then they need to reteach it, and many kids have a hard time breaking that habit. Kids may learn the capital ones easier, but easier doesn't always mean best. If given enough time, kids can write and learn the "correct" way. The one thing that was stressed in ALL my college education classes, is always use print the way it is "suppose" to be...kids don't need it "dumbed down" for them, they are smart.

17. monica

monica Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

Ow, I have a pet peeve with parents who teach their kids to write their name in all capitals. I agree that re teaching something is as frustrating for the kids as it is for the teacher. Why make it harder when they have to learn a different way? We use D'Nelian which is a whole extra issue b/c even if they're writing with capital & lower case, then they have to throw that little curve on it. Still, easy to start with the correct version.

I do expose my kids to different fonts in the room. We talk about how we write is called D'Nelian, but different people use different styles of writing. I feel they should be exposed to all types, just like in the real world. But... with anything they use to look at and copy (writing centers posters, word walls, name tags on tables, charts, etc...) I am sure to use D'Nelian. That's what they will need to use next year in our school systems, so I want to get them use to writing like that now. Again, no need to re learn how to write.

I also think that labels should be made starting with a lower case letter. You'll be sooo happy everything is labeled when you get it done. There are soooo many perks to that!!

I remember when I taught full time for our state funded Pre-K. Meeting everyone's expectations was a nightmare! Your center director wanted it one way to comply with how the center worked, the State PreK coordinator wanted it another way, then DFACS had other ideas all together. You, as the teacher, knew what was best for teaching your little ones and sometimes it didn't comply with what everyone else wanted. Ugh.... so frustrating. Then...to make it worse. You'd have a NEW state coordinator or DFACS person come through and they might expect it totally different from the old one. Talk about a pain!! (Thankfully I now teach part time at a church and all we have is one director and she's sooooo easy to work with!)

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

YES!!! I did my student teaching in a kindergarten class, and it was so frusterating to have to re-teach students how to write their names. We had to wean them off of all-caps, and it is confusing for the students. All of a sudden the way they write their name is no longer acceptable and they don't know why!

19. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

Have studies been done to determine this? I don't agree because they learn what you teach them. If you have them trace their name with the first letter capital and the rest lowercase, then that's how they learn to write it. How much do they learn in pre-k in relation to uppercase/lowercase letters? Do they learn the difference and how to write both or is Kindergarten the first introduction?