Director asking me to do unethical things

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mtjoyss, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mtjoyss

mtjoyss New Member

Mar 30, 2012

I am coming here heavy hearted. I have taught pre-school for a year now and have loved it. I just recently moved to a new room, ages 14 to 24mths. One week in and I am at the end of my rope.
    First we have a sever biter. The week before I began in the room the child has severly bitten 17 times in one week. My director told me that I was to keep the child strapped in the high table for the whole day. When outside the child is to be strapped into a swing.
    I was not in agreement with that and let the director know as much.

Flash forward to today. The director has come to me with a new solution. When the child bites am to squeeze lemon juice in her mouth. The parents have signed a waiver allowing me to do this. It just isn't sitting right to me!!!

Also during nap time I have 10 children alone. I am in ratio, yet 3 of my young toddlers are not allowed to nap according to their parents request. The fourth must be woken up after 30 minutes. So I am alone in a room with 4 children awake. Yet, most of of my class only naps for about 30 minutes because of the 3 wide awake children. This leaves me alone with 10 toddlers for two and a half hours. My director is well aware of this. She lets all assistants take break from 1 to 3pm so all the head teachers are alone during this time. If there was an emergency I would have no one to come into my room to help.

I am now beginning to understand that while my center does not have a high turn over rate of teachers in any other room. This toddler room does.

Any suggestions? I am about to resign at this point.:(

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2012

The title of your post says it all. You have your answer; but, I wouldn't just resign, I would definitely get in touch with Licensing.

4. mtjoyss

mtjoyss New Member

Mar 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your reply. This child's parents were the one's to suggest strapping the child in the high chair table for 9 hours...now the lemon juice? I refuse to do either! I know what my answer is, just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mountain out of a mole hill.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 30, 2012

Wow, if these ideas are the parents', perhaps CPS should have a looksie.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2012

Among other things, this sounds like several lawsuits waiting to happen.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2012

If you are ready to quit...what a shame it would be for other parents in the school to hear how children are disciplined...:whistle: (Wonder how long the center can stay open when parents find out how outrageously things are run)

8. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Mar 30, 2012

First of all, mtjoyss I am very, very sorry about the way the director and parents told you to handle the situation. Second of all, is the child talking yet? Does she bite when she is frustrated and cannot explain what she needs? If the biting is limited to those situations, not just some random Hannibalesque type biting than perhaps you can suggest teaching the child some basic signs to help cut down on her frustration and maybe curb the biting? I know how frustrating it can be when the situation is going on and how scary it is but maybe there is a way to help her and not escalate the situation and make her feel even more frustrated and want to act out more.
    As to the restraint/ lemon juice thing, really? Really parent's that's your solution? Really? And your director supporting this, does she want the school to be sued? This is so unethical.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 30, 2012

Pull out the regulations and show the director what she needs to be doing, or not doing. Explain to her that you can not work in noncompliance. I am sorry to tell you, but if a Child Care licenser finds out--you are the one that will get in trouble. I have fired staff who have allowed noncompliance to happen. I bet your director would not defend you and/or admit that she told you to do these things.

For your own safety, get out. Give her a resignation letter stating all the things she asked you to do. If you really want to be mean, send a copy to the licensing agency.

Protect yourself!! PM me if you need help.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2012

Ditto what everyone said above...
    Also, Lemon juice can demineralize the enamel on teeth...the parents should be made aware of this.

11. mtjoyss

mtjoyss New Member

Mar 31, 2012

Thank you!

Thank you for all the messages. Last night I even had a nightmare about the whole situation. My heart is so heavy. I have loved teaching my 3-4 class for the past year.
    When I took the new position teaching this new class I made a promise to the director I was here for the long haul. She has had such a high turnover in the past year with this class. Now I understand why.
    First I think an age group of 12 to 24mths is too large. We have some that are just starting to walk to kids that are ready for varsity football. :lol:

The biter is not vocal yet as this child is 12mths. Yet she bites unprovoked. She can be sitting on your lap and another child walks by and she chomps down. We can be doing circle time and she will chomp on herself. The week before I took over she bit 17 times. That is when the director said she must be at the high chair table at all times. ( That's not happening with me as the teacher!)

This same child has a brother who is 4 that the parents feed him laxatives every day because his poop isn't big enough!!!! I have written report after report and gave them to the director.

The director doesn't want to lose 2 kids as she has a quota to maintain with headquarters. I don't care about her quota. I care about the kids.

Also, my director knows that 4 of the children in my class do not nap. She has walked by while they are running around the room waking the other kids up. I am totally alone during these 2 hours. The teacher before me put the 4 children up at the table strapped in and let them fall asleep in the high table. This is my directors solution as well. Since the parents don't want them napping it shows that we tried to keep them up.

To me that is abuse and I can't find anywhere if I am out of ratio having 10 kids under the age of 2 alone during nap time. I believe I am not....yet 4 do not nap..and in the end they are all awake within 30 to 40 minutes anyway.

12. mtjoyss

mtjoyss New Member

Mar 31, 2012

Forgot to add, my class is actually 14 to 24mths. Yet, I had two 12mth olds move up this past week at their parents request.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 1, 2012

I have had several day care staff ask me where to find the regs for child care centers. I type in Child Care Reguations (Name of your State) and find them easily.

If you work in a child care facility, you need to know the regs. You, as the primary caregiver, are responsible for complying with them. If a certifier comes in, and you are out of compliance, you will be written up. To keep the center license, the Director might have to terminate the care giver. In a poorly run program, I would not hold out much hope that the director would back up a teacher.

I always held my teachers accountable to the regs. I gave trainings, and went over our proceedures. If a caregiver broke a serious reg, she was terminated. I remember having to terminate a wonderful employee for spanking a child.

14. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 3, 2012

So she's not very vocal at one and is biting? I hate to say it, but that's kind of normal at that age, especially if she's getting a big reaction from it either from you or her parents. I know it's difficult, but try not to react when she bites, keep your voice even and have her help with applying ice to the child she bit, if ice is necessary. If she stops getting a reaction the biting might stop.
    As to the ratio thing, as far as I know it's 12 kids to one teacher, anything over is a violation. As to nap though, if they are waking up the other children, imho, the director should provide a space for them to be awake and not disturb the others. I really have no idea what your director is doing or why she is letting these things go on in her center but they are violations, you cannot restrain a child like that, in a high chair during nap time. They have to be provided a cot or mat as a place to sleep. I kind of get why the teacher turnover is as high as you're saying.
    If she's approachable I would recommend going to her and voicing your concerns, mention that you want the best for the center and her and you're worried some things might not be correct. If you can get a copy of your local title regulations, which you can find here: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/055/chapter3270/chap3270toc.html
    Take it to her with the parts she is in violation in highlighted perhaps. I think it might help.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 3, 2012

You could resign and find another place. You could also make an anonymous call to the state licensing board. Maybe a surprise visit by them would straighten her out.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 3, 2012

(It's stories such as this that make me SO grateful for my mom who has babysat all of my kids...)

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 4, 2012

kcjo. My mother also babysat my girls. I had to drive 45 minutes each way, but it was worth it.

18. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 4, 2012

mtjoyss - I truly admire your conviction to do what is right rather than what you are told and to point out the unethical and illegal nature of the directions you are being given. You are a credit to the vocation. :thumb:

19. shelleywelley

shelleywelley Rookie

Apr 4, 2012

Bring it up your concerns with your director, and then if nothing is done, bring is up with licensing/state. You don't want that to come down on YOU.