Director advice?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clo_10, Jun 13, 2011.

1. clo_10

clo_10 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

I've been teaching preschool for less than a year now & some things have happened with the director at our center and she had to be fired. Needless to say, my boss really wants me to be the director. I'm honestly very nervous to accept the position due to lack of experience, but I know the pay increase will be nice.

Does anyone have any director advice? Is it worth it?

*Also, on a side note: Does anyone know of any good free newsletter sites, templates, etc. I really want to start making a monthly newsletter for my students' parents.*

Thanks!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

I think if you have a good staff and enrollment it might be worth it. But if you need to stress out over the staff following directions or enrollment of students, then it might not be worth it.

I make my newsletters in MSWord.

4. clo_10

clo_10 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011

We're weeding out the bad staff now & hiring fresh so I think that aspect will be ok. We are also almost at maximum capacity, so we don't have issues with the enrollment number. Thanks for the advice.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2011

Talk to the director about what her job involves. This might give you a better understanding of what she does and whether you think you might be able to handle it.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2011

Then I would suggest going for it. You won't get experience unless you try it.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 13, 2011

I have been using Mailbox for my templates. It isn't free....and I have grown a bit tired of the actual publication. So....I am very interested in what templates are rounded up.

I agree with Mopar....go for it....it won't be easy, but it will be the only way to learn the job. Ask the director what her position entails, perhaps your area has a meeting of other directors you could attend?

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jun 13, 2011

Also ask yourself if you will be a good director. Someone who can listen, is organized, is open to change, and can handle stress. I only ask because my director is lacking in these areas. If you go for it, good luck.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

We have a new director. She's a former K teacher and she told me she likes her new role as director, but had no idea how many hats she had to wear in a day. It's very stressful and it takes a very hardy individual to deal with staffing issues, parents and of course children. There is tons of paper work and expect the unexpected when you're in charge.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2011

As for newsletter templates, she makes her own (so do I.) Just type it out, using as few words as possible because parents get lost in wordy letters. Use any appropriate images as "decorations" on your letters.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 14, 2011

I used wordy letters. All but I think one of mine read it. It's because my wordy letters are stories from the classroom, infused with humor, pictures, etc. But as a parent, I would have to tend to agree that less is best.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 14, 2011

As a director I found I was constantly doing paperwork: USDA food service, planning menus, collecting tuition, creating budgets, revising budgets, immunization forms, children's files, and newsletters.

As for staff: I had to observe, evaluate, and mentor. I am really a trainer, so I held lots of trainings. Yearly staff evaluations with a one hour meeting per staff. Lots of hiring of new staff.

Meetings: Board meetings, building meetings, community meetings.

And that was just the first day. LOL

13. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jun 20, 2011

Being director is a tough job and you cannot be sensitive. People do come at your from all sides and they expect results. I think that it really depends on where you work and if the people above you support you. For me it would really depend on how much of a raise I was going to get. Being in charge is stressful.