Direct Instruction vs Lecture Method

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mr.Literature, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Aug 2, 2016

It's interesting. I'm currently studying for my last exam and the section dealing with instruction makes it clear that direct instruction is not the same as the lecture method.

I always thought that the two were one in the same. From what I'm reading thoug, the difference seems to be that direct instruction involves student practice.

I'm curious if anyone was lumping these two together like I was or if I'm just a fool lol
    The only difference seems to be that with the lecture method, kids don't really seem to have the opportunity to practice anything, ask questions, or respond to the content being learned.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 2, 2016

If it helps, think of DI as a teacher walking a class through a science lab. How do you light the bunsen burner safely? Show, let them do it without burning down the school. Talking about mixing precise quantities of varied chemicals, then demonstrate measuring on the scale. Go around and correct incorrect practices, next step - I am sure you get the point. DI is common in science, but I have seen it used effectively in math and English. The history teacher where I work doesn't engage in it to my knowledge, but to be honest, I spend little class time there. I could be way off base, but this is how we use it.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2016

I learned that direct instruction is the first component of 'I do, we do, you do.' Whereas lecture method is a stand-alone way of delivering instruction by lecture only.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 2, 2016

You are right, and I was in a rush to get out the door for an appointment, or I would have caught what I wrote and explained it better.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 2, 2016

I've always considered lecture to be one type/portion of direct instruction.

otterpop likes this.
  7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2016

Same here. Everything I've read or seen includes lecture in direct instruction.

8. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 3, 2016

Direct instruction is instruction directed by the teacher (sorry for double talk) as opposed to instruction directed by students as in free to explore your own learning without any direction from the teacher. Lecture, demonstration, questioning and collaborative groups can all fall under direct instruction if they are designed and guided by the teacher. In terms of skill or concept attainment, lecture has a poor track record if all a teacher does is talk while students listen. The teacher is asking students to retrieve, process and store in long-term memory skills/concepts and reproduce them flawlessly down the road (test) by virtue of using one sensory modality - listening.

Mr.Literature likes this.
  9. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Aug 3, 2016

This is a great answer!

I appreciate the clarification from everyone. I tend to stay away from too much time doing direct instruction. I rather the kids do things that will engage them in whatever standard we are working on.
    I took the test today and passed it though lol So I guess that's all that matters. This question was just a matter of curiosity. The professional education test book was very much pro direct instruction for secondary.