Dinosaur Unit

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

I'm doing a dinosaur unit the last two weeks of November, and I'm really excited about it. My kids have shown a lot of interest in dinosaurs, probably because I have colored dinosaurs that we count with every day and we've been singing "We are the Dinosaurs" for our motion song about once a week.

I've never done a dinosaur unit before, and I need your help for ideas. So far I have thought of . . .

Putting Easter grass and small dinosaurs in Easter eggs in the sensory table
    Putting colored dinosaurs in same color Easter eggs and doing a color matching game
    Measuring the lengths of various dinosaurs and measuring the kids

Any art ideas? I try to do as much free art as possible . . . ie, for our cat/dog unit, I'm putting out lots of art materials for them to make their own cat or dog face on a paper plate. We have large dinosaur stencils, and I could put those out with materials (shiny wrapping paper for scales?) Also, where can I find dinosaurs small enough for the plastic eggs? I haven't found any yet.

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

Art: We made fossils by gluing different parts of dinosaurs together. I found pictures of dinosaur fossils on Google and was able to reproduce them, cut them into different parts. The kids were able to select which skulls, legs, arms, tails and bodies they wanted to use for their dinosaurs.

We painted cardboard cut outs of dinosaur feet. After they dried we attached elastic and the kids were able to wear them while doing the dinosaur stomp music activity.

We used styrofoam, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, toothpicks and other materials to make dinosaurs.

We poured quick-krete cement into a bowl and the children put small dinosaur toys and real tree twigs and leaves to make a dinosaur diorama.

We cut out various dinosaur shapes with construction paper and then let the kids glue stripes or spots on their dinosaurs.

Science: We did the rubber boned experiment using chicken bones and vinegar.

Math: We arranged dinosaur toys by size.

Language: We used a tape recorder to let the children record what they thought dinosaurs would sound like. How an angry dino roars; What a hungry dino sounds like; How do baby dinos call to their mothers, etc... You can also use a video camera for this activity.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2008

You can put out bubble wrap in a sensory table type holder (near a sink) finger paint the tempra around on the wrap while talking about scales. Then press a paper onto the wrap and you have a cool print of the "scales". Refresh the paint every so often with a spay bottle.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 1, 2008

you could ake a dinoaur paper bag puppet

you can make "fossil dinosaur molars with plaster of paris and egg cartons

youcan make dinosaur footprints with plaster of paris and let them use plastic knives to 'draw" what they think a dinosaur footprint would lok like

free art group project: get large poster board and cardborad boxes and let them make a huge backfround to pla with toy dinosaurs--they can make mountains and trees and rivers and volcanos etc

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2008

Part of our dino study is always the baking soda volcano and the flour in the pie tin marble crater lesson. Sometimes we get to link them to the dino time and others we talk about the things in backs of dino pictures and that takes us to exploring volcanos and so on.