Dinner Ideas...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Jun 27, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 27, 2008

Hello :)

I need some dinner ideas! I made fish last night...and chicken the night before. What is something quick, easy, and tasty that you make sometimes? I will be cooking for 2.

Thanks, buddies :)

3. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Why not serve Shrimp Pasta Alfredo? It's actually quite simple to make. You will need:

Alfredo Sauce
    * 1/4 cup butter
    * 1 cup heavy cream
    * 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
    * 1/2 cup (or more) of grated Parmesan cheese
    * A tablespoon or two of chopped parsley
    * salt - to taste
    * flour as needed - for thickening

You will also need:
    * 12 large shrimp (You may cook them yourself or buy them precooked)
    * pasta

Procedure:

1) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly. The cheese should thicken the sauce. If you want the sauce even thicker, add a touch of flour or more cheese.

2) In a separate pot, boil your noodles until they're cooked. Drain them.

3) If you are cooking your own shrimp, make sure they're peeled and deveined. Cook them in a bit of olive oil until they turn pink and opaque. If you're using frozen cooked shrimp, defrost them by simmering them in hot water or zapping them in the microwave. Add the cooked shrimp to the Alfredo sauce.

4) Plate the noodles. Add the Shrimp Alfredo sauce. Top with extra grated cheese and parsley.

This is a very simple dish that takes about 20 minutes to make.

P.S. If you don't like shrimp, you may use grilled vegetables with mushrooms or sliced grilled chicken.

I'd recommend serving this meal with a Gallo Family Vineyards Sonoma County Chardonnay. This is a rich wine that tastes of melon and citrus fruits with a touch of vanilla. The aged oak gives the wine a toasty and buttery highlight with a crisp finish.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 27, 2008

Go buy some frozen ravioli - cheese is best - canned sauce, french bread, and hit the salad bar. Voila! Instant dinner and really a great treat!

My other favorites are omelettes, grilled cheese and soup, taco soup, frozen chicken thighs (thawed and cooked quickly!) on top of a caesar salad - made from a bag of greens and tomatoes, parmesean added! If money is no object, have broiled steak with a bag of salad and some quick noodles.

I'm getting hungry!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 27, 2008

Thanks for the great ideas :)

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2008

I love my crock pot in the summer. I put frozen beef ribs in my crock pot and just covered them with a bottle BBQ sauce. They cooked all day, didn't heat up my kitchen and were delicious. I have always had a really hard time remember to take out meat to thaw for dinner, so I just love any cooking implement that allows me to put things in frozen :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2008

This is yummy. I like to use my electric skillet.

Season pork chops. I use grill mates and/or some cajun seasoning. Brown pork loin chops in a little olive oil. Add sliced onions and green peppers to the skillet. Cover and cook until they soften. Add some white wine and cover. I just guess how long (sorry). Uncover and turn chops.

Serve with some kind of noodles, potatoes, or rice.

8. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

I like to cook my chops with the green tabasco sauce. It gives it a bit of a kick! Just shake some on and let it cook on one side, flip and add to the other side.

9. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

This thread makes me hungry! I'm going to buy shrimp in the morning and ravioli and chops and ribs and.......