Dilemna....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 14, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2011

Last year was my third as a first grade teacher. Don't get me wrong, I love the kiddos - there is so much growth in first grade! However... I student taught in 3rd grade, and really, really enjoyed it, because there is so much more depth (I've been told I need to teach 4th & up through high school) to the material.

I want to teach kids to communicate effectively (i.e., correct usage, how to write meaningful passages, etc.), how to find the meaning in what they read, why we do the things we do and say the things we say. We simply don't have time for that in first grade, and they aren't ready for it - they (at least in our area) are still decoding and working too hard on the words themselves to get far in other areas.

So, last year, I asked my P if I could move to 3rd. He was considering it, when informed that, due to money issues, he would not be returning (he had already retired and come back). In addition, the district is raising the student/teacher ratio, but we (the teachers) already know that there will be an opening for a 3rd grade teacher (we have 2 first, 2 second, 1 third, 2 fourth & 1 fifth - not enough kids for another fifth yet).

Here's the dilemna. We definitely have a new P coming this year. She should be at the school next week. Do I..

1. Stay in first, where I already know the material and routines, etc., and just deal with "learning" a new P's expectations?
    2. or do I go ahead and ask for 3rd, and just have everything new?

I do NOT want to go to the school and set up my class for first, only to have to tear it down and move to another room. I also would LOVE some time to plan if I'm moving to third.

Does this make any sense??? Aaaarrrgghhh!

3. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 14, 2011

This situation sounds familiar. I wanted to move to first from pre-k. My old P talked to the new P when he came to school. The new P moved me to first. In my school, opening are few and far between. If you want to move, I would go for it!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

Is there a chance that because there are 2 fourth grades, there will be another fifth grade next year?

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 14, 2011

It never hurts to ask. Talk to your new principal and see if she is willing to consider you for the position.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2011

The two 4th grade classes are new this year - we only had one last year, and one of our (formerly 2) 3rd grade teachers is moving up, so I dunno about 2012-2013 yet. Plus, do to our wonderful superintendent and budgetary issues - my school may not be open for the 2013-2014 year! I'm trying to get experience in multiple grades so that I will be more marketable if that time comes.

I've decided to call her Monday morning (P's are supposed to be at the schools next week) and ask for a meeting... We'll see!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

It can't hurt to ask! Good luck!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2011

If I had to teach any gr level, I think 3rd's the best too. Well, since you really want 3rd, go ahead & try for it (no matter if there's going to be a new P or not). But yes, I understand that you may want to appear more confident & knowledgeable w/ staying in 1st since that's what you know about better.

9. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 14, 2011

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 14, 2011

The old principal is already gone - it's all up to the new one. :)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2011

I think if I were coming in as a new principal, I would leave everyone where they were for that first year. I wouldn't make any changes until I knew what I was dealing with.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2011

I would put in the request. The worst that can happen is that you don't get it.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2011

If you really want to teach third then ask for the change.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 17, 2011

I know how you're feeling about 1st! I had to teach 1st grade my first year teaching! I was so incredibly happy when I was moved up to 2nd grade the following year (due to a change in numbers, not due to my request for another grade level).

Anyway, best wishes!

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2011

Don't get me wrong - I love first - there is so much growth! I won't be UNhappy teaching 1st, but they are SUCH babies when they first come in, though, and I'm not a spring chicken. I want to get into the meaning of things & texts. I know that teaching 3rd won't be like teaching college, lol, but compared to first....

All principals in our district are supposed to be at their schools this week. In the morning, I plan to call my new P and try to set up a meeting. I'm want to explain my feelings to her in person. I will happily abide by whatever her decision is... just want it SOON for planning purposes, lol.

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

Good luck!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Aaarrggghh! I hate misinformation! Called the school - no answer. In fact, I called my school plus 2 others - no answer. Called the school board office and it turns out that principals don't report until August 4! Ugh!

18. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

I'm rooting for you! So be sure to keep us updated! Hopefully she's open to the idea and you will get to move!

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I was at the school today, and the custodian told me that the new P was there yesterday, so... I emailed her tonight, introduced myself and welcomed her to the school. I mentioned the 3rd grade position and asked to be considered for it, but also said that I would be happy in 1st if that was her decision.

Just now I logged into our district system and saw my (1st grade) roster... 21 kids (not too bad), 2 teachers kids (!), and the worst kid in the school!

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2011

Do teachers at your school get to choose who their children will have? If so, that's quite a compliment (that two are in your class)!

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I don't know, to be honest. One is actually the counselor's son, and he DOES work on placing the kids, so I definitely feel good about that one! The other's mom is a 2nd grade teacher, who shares my wall, so I know I won't have any behavioral problems from him - and he's a sweety anyway.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I would keep my options open. :)

I think everything is going to depend on the personality of the new principal. Establish an excellent rapport, voice your thoughts informally, and see what she has to say. She'll get back to you soon, hopefully, but be patient.

For the first three years of teaching, I wanted to move up to fifth grade, but I am glad I have been super glued to fourth. It's meant for me. :) Hopefully you will find what is meant for you, too...

Now for the roster- maybe you're meant to have the class you are receiving. You never know... and of course as always, I wish you the best.

23. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

I believe that having co-workers students is a huge compliment. Especially two... I'm slightly nervous because there are 5 teachers children coming to our school next year. And 7 possible classrooms. I'm sure they will have some say in where they go... keeping my fingers crossed!

Whew take deep breaths, meditate and dream warm tea in the mornings. Hopefully the "worst kid" turns into the best with your guidance!