Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by somedayteacher, Aug 8, 2007.

1. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I have just been offered an 8 week long-term subbing position starting at the beginning of the school year. I want a full time position, but after 14 interviews, this is the only offer I've received. School starts September 4th. Should I accept this position or wait for a better offer?
    Thanks.
    -Paula

3. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I would say take it. If somethng better comes up, you can take that.
    Long-term subs do not sign a contract and therefore are not bound to their position. Hopefully for you a LTS position will lead to full time employmnet.

4. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I say take it. Last year we had and LTS that got hired on full time to teach kinder. She maade a great impression on the whole staff and we all loved her.

5. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Take It!!!!

I agree with the other posters. Take the LTS job. I have been a sub on and off for almost NINE years and in that time I have never been offered a long term sub position. I am beginning to think that these schools either don't like me and just look at me as a body to fill the space or value me so much as a daily sub that they don't want to lose me!!

Mldouglas

6. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

take it and use it as an opportunity to really market yourself. that means showing up on time (preferably early :)) everyday, smiling-even when things go wrong, and portraying yourself as someone the other teachers would really like to work with. also, make sure you make it known to the principal that you would LOVE to be considered, should anything open up mid-year. good luck to you!!

-meri

7. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I would take it because LTS positions are hard to get (well i've found it difficult to land one anyway) here. We are required to sign a contract here but that is because of the fact that we are paid the same as a permanent teacher. Sounds like what you've been offered is a fulltime position - it's just that it's only temporary. Whilst it's not ideal one temporary position may lead to another and another or even better still you may be offered a permanent position at sometime during the school year.
    I know atm I am looking for work and I am not willing to take day to day casual work but i'm happy to accept anything that would involve a 'block' of fulltime work on a temporary basis. Ultimately, i'd love something permanent but beggars can't be choosers and atm I am pretty much a beggar.

8. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Also consider that who ever is supposed to come back may not. I got a permanent job once after the teacher decided not to return after having her baby. At that school we also had a teacher who didnt return after a break in the middle of the year so the school hired a LTS to temp while they did a search for the position and ended up giving it to the LTS because she was so good. Good luck!