Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ninnee, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

Jun 17, 2016

Hi all if anyone can offer advice that would be great. I currently work at a private special education school in NJ which I love. I have learned a lot and owe the place alot. Our contracts at the school are at will and I wasn't sure if I would be rehired. We only recieved our contracts a few days ago. Being I wasn't sure I applied for jobs. I went on an interview at a public school and recieved the job. I accepted. Now my issue is woth the contracts. I will not be ratified at the new job until the next board meeting which is a week after my contract is due at my current job. Would you sign the current contract ( I have 30 days to break) or just be honest and resign. I'm worried if the board doesn't approve me ill be screwed out of any job. But I also don't want to leave my current job hanging. Thanks for your time.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2016

Do NOT under any circumstances resign until you have the other job and contract signed, especially when you know for sure you have your current job and that you can break a contract without penalty for 30 days, especially if that 30 days will put you past the school board hearing and signing of a new contract.

4. klieb

klieb New Member

Jun 17, 2016

I wouldn't resign until you definitely have been approved by the board etc. I was in the same situation and I didn't let them know until I had signed something. 30 days is plenty of time for them to find a new teacher. You need to do what is best for you!

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 17, 2016

If you have 30 days to back out, I would go ahead and sign for your current school until your new contract comes through. Usually by the time it goes to the board, it's just a formality, but stranger things have happened.