Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChildWhisperer, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

So far, I already have 2 official offers and I recently interviewed for a job that is currently my number one choice.
    However, they said I would most likely get the job, and that I'd have to get through a panel interview and get Board approval. The problem with this is that the first two places are waiting to hear from me, and the next Board meeting is mid-July! So I would not get an official offer of employment until towards the end of July.
    Do I turn down the first two offers in hopes of getting this one? (He made it sound like I would get it) I'm afraid of turning them down and not getting this one, because I'd end up back at square one with the school year approaching quickly!
    :2cents: for your thoughts! :D :thanks:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

I would be honest with the principal, explain the situation you are in, and see if he can give you any sort of confirmation. Although, if you still have to go through a panel interview, I wouldn't consider it a sure thing at this point. The board approval is usually just a formality though.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2015

Unfortunately, you have a dilemma that many job seeking posters here wish they had.

Here are the scales...on one side, you have two job offers from schools that need an answer from you ASAP so they can get their school year moving. (And one school needs to know so they can rehire without having to go to the bottom of the barrel). The other side of the scale has a school that has said they might give you the job, but you have to interview first. They may find someone they like better during the interview process. On which side are the scales tipping?

Personally, I would hate to be one of the schools waiting on your decision. It may be time to go with your gut.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 25, 2015

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Right now you have two birds in the hand and one in the bush. I would weigh the pros and cons of the two confirmed offers that you already have and choose one.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 25, 2015

Waiting until the end of July for a possible job offer seems like going out on a bit of a limb to me. It may be time to make a list of pros and cons for all three positions. Perhaps that would give you a clearer vision of where you need to go.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2015

The 3rd option is the best option. Higher pay, better benefits, etc. That makes this really hard!
    3rd school also knows about this dilemma and feels bad they can't give me an answer sooner. He mentioned they've lost good candidates this way because nobody wants to wait that long for an answer.

Also, would it be bad emailing to decline job offers? Or should I call? I have decided to take this huge risk and wait for the one I want. If I don't get it, well, then it wasn't meant to be. I believe everything happens for a reason!

8. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

I wouldn't wait on a maybe. I'd take a sure offer now - you could send an offer my way

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2015

I, too, would go with the sure thing. Since you have decided to wait, I would call the other ones and not email the Ps.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 26, 2015

The upside is that two other job seekers are suddenly going to be surprised and excited. I love that you have made the decision to wait and are comfortable with it. I don't believe I could let the sure thing go, but that could be my age. The only person who has to be OK with the decision is you.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 28, 2015

As much as I'd love to go with my #1 choice...in this economy, I'd take one of the two offers.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2015

I agree whole heartedly that if it is meant to happen, it will happen. Perhaps you could email or call the P and let him know that you turned down the other offers because you really want to be in this school. It would certainly let them know how dedicated you are!

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 29, 2015

Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know what happens after July 16... :unsure:

^ I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if it would make me look too desperate/forward?

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 23, 2015

Just wanted to let you all know, that taking this big risk & turning down the 2 offers I had was :thumb:
    because
    I got the offer from the 3rd place that I wanted!! :2up:

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2015

Congrats!

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2015

:thumb::celebrate::party::2up:

17. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

Yay congrats!!

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 24, 2015

Thanks all!
    I'm sooooo excited!
    I've been working in daycare for the past 5 years so this is my first time venturing out!

I know it'll be pretty different (free preschool vs tuition preschool)
    Any advice?!?!