Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChildWhisperer, Jun 25, 2015.

  1. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    422

    Jun 25, 2015

    So far, I already have 2 official offers and I recently interviewed for a job that is currently my number one choice.
    However, they said I would most likely get the job, and that I'd have to get through a panel interview and get Board approval. The problem with this is that the first two places are waiting to hear from me, and the next Board meeting is mid-July! So I would not get an official offer of employment until towards the end of July.
    Do I turn down the first two offers in hopes of getting this one? (He made it sound like I would get it) I'm afraid of turning them down and not getting this one, because I'd end up back at square one with the school year approaching quickly!
    :2cents: for your thoughts! :D :thanks:
     
  2.  
  3. bella84

    bella84 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2012
    Messages:
    3,469
    Likes Received:
    1,442

    Jun 25, 2015

    I would be honest with the principal, explain the situation you are in, and see if he can give you any sort of confirmation. Although, if you still have to go through a panel interview, I wouldn't consider it a sure thing at this point. The board approval is usually just a formality though.
     
  4. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,481
    Likes Received:
    1,381

    Jun 25, 2015

    Unfortunately, you have a dilemma that many job seeking posters here wish they had.

    Here are the scales...on one side, you have two job offers from schools that need an answer from you ASAP so they can get their school year moving. (And one school needs to know so they can rehire without having to go to the bottom of the barrel). The other side of the scale has a school that has said they might give you the job, but you have to interview first. They may find someone they like better during the interview process. On which side are the scales tipping?

    Personally, I would hate to be one of the schools waiting on your decision. It may be time to go with your gut.
     
  5. TnKinder

    TnKinder Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2013
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    28

    Jun 25, 2015

    A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Right now you have two birds in the hand and one in the bush. I would weigh the pros and cons of the two confirmed offers that you already have and choose one.
     
  6. geoteacher

    geoteacher Habitué

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    Messages:
    980
    Likes Received:
    201

    Jun 25, 2015

    Waiting until the end of July for a possible job offer seems like going out on a bit of a limb to me. It may be time to make a list of pros and cons for all three positions. Perhaps that would give you a clearer vision of where you need to go.
     
  7. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    422

    Jun 25, 2015

    The 3rd option is the best option. Higher pay, better benefits, etc. That makes this really hard!
    3rd school also knows about this dilemma and feels bad they can't give me an answer sooner. He mentioned they've lost good candidates this way because nobody wants to wait that long for an answer.

    Also, would it be bad emailing to decline job offers? Or should I call? I have decided to take this huge risk and wait for the one I want. If I don't get it, well, then it wasn't meant to be. I believe everything happens for a reason!
     
  8. luv2teach444

    luv2teach444 Companion

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jun 25, 2015

    I wouldn't wait on a maybe. I'd take a sure offer now - you could send an offer my way
     
  9. DHE

    DHE Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,897
    Likes Received:
    27

    Jun 26, 2015

    I, too, would go with the sure thing. Since you have decided to wait, I would call the other ones and not email the Ps.
     
  10. vickilyn

    vickilyn Magnifico

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    9,634
    Likes Received:
    2,399

    Jun 26, 2015

    The upside is that two other job seekers are suddenly going to be surprised and excited. I love that you have made the decision to wait and are comfortable with it. I don't believe I could let the sure thing go, but that could be my age. The only person who has to be OK with the decision is you.
     
  11. MissPapa

    MissPapa Comrade

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 28, 2015

    As much as I'd love to go with my #1 choice...in this economy, I'd take one of the two offers.
     
  12. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,481
    Likes Received:
    1,381

    Jun 28, 2015

    I agree whole heartedly that if it is meant to happen, it will happen. Perhaps you could email or call the P and let him know that you turned down the other offers because you really want to be in this school. It would certainly let them know how dedicated you are!
     
  13. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    422

    Jun 29, 2015

    Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know what happens after July 16... :unsure:

    ^ I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure if it would make me look too desperate/forward?
     
  14. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    422

    Jul 23, 2015

    Just wanted to let you all know, that taking this big risk & turning down the 2 offers I had was :thumb:
    because
    I got the offer from the 3rd place that I wanted!! :2up:
     
  15. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,481
    Likes Received:
    1,381

    Jul 23, 2015

    Congrats!
     
  16. DHE

    DHE Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1,897
    Likes Received:
    27

    Jul 24, 2015

    :thumb::celebrate::party::2up:
     
  17. newteacher14

    newteacher14 Rookie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2014
    Messages:
    68
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 24, 2015

    Yay congrats!!
     
  18. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,226
    Likes Received:
    422

    Jul 24, 2015

    Thanks all!
    I'm sooooo excited!
    I've been working in daycare for the past 5 years so this is my first time venturing out!

    I know it'll be pretty different (free preschool vs tuition preschool)
    Any advice?!?!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. NC Teacher 4,
  2. vickilyn,
  3. socalenglish
Total: 274 (members: 4, guests: 251, robots: 19)
test