Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Newteach31, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Newteach31

Newteach31 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

So recently, I posted about having a job offer (ill call it school A) and waiting to be approved by the board of education. I met with the superintendent and he invited me to come to the meeting and meet the rest of the board and gave me a run down of what normally happens at the meeting. In addition, he talked about new teacher orientation and insurance things and salary. I don't think he would have invited me unless it was pretty much a given that I would be approved. Then today, I got a phone call from another school (let's call it school B) offering me a 6th grade position (the other one is 3rd). I really don't particularly want to teach at the school that offered me a position today. I'd much prefer to be at school A, but I'm such a worry wart that I'm afraid that ill turn down school B and then something will happen with school A and I won't be approved or something crazy like that. What would y'all do?

3. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

I think it's always a given if it's going to the board. I think of that as more of a formality. I would turn down the other offer. Congrats!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2013

It has been my experience that the board meeting is just a formality. If you are really worried, call the superintendent and ask him what you should do.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

When is the board meeting? I would ask for time to think about it from school B if the board meeting is soon.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

I don't think you have to worry. I was in my classroom teaching before the board met to approve me!

7. Newteach31

Newteach31 Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

The meeting isn't until the 30th. They pushed it back because they had some more hiring at the high school to do and wanted to approve it all at once. It might be important to know that they introduce candidates at the board meeting and then block vote. So in order to turn me down they would have to turn everyone down I think. I guess what really worried me is that when I had the meeting with the superintendent he said that he would call me if there was anything that came up but that if I didn't get a phone call I could assume everything was fine. I'm sure that's standard to say to somene right? School B wants a very quick reply, but I'm just leaning towards telling them no.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2013

In my experience, board approval is just a formality. I would turn down School B's offer.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

Sometimes they do separate candidates out. They block voted for me and three others, but one had to be voted on separately because her aunt was on the board and had to abstain from voting.