Dilemma! Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RitaFirstGrade, Jul 12, 2007.

1. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Hello there.

Next year I will be teaching a 1/2 combo. I will have a new bunch of first graders and my second graders will be kids who were in my class last year in first grade. I want to change my room up to make it different for the kids who will be in my room for another year. I was going to totally change the theme, but I really don't want to! I love the ocean theme and have put a ton of money into it as well!

I would love some ideas for how to change things up to make it fun for my kiddos. I am posting a link to my photo gallery from last year. Please give me some ideas for things I can change. I don't really want to change the layout of the room because I found a layout that works so well. I just want to change some bulletin boards. I already know that I am going to change the way I do classroom jobs and arrange the calendar differently. Does anyone have an idea for someting else I can name the "Sea Star of the Week"? When you look at my room tour, is there a bulletin board you think I can improve on/change the color of/change altogether?

Am I dumb for feeling the need to change things up or should I leave things generally the same? Would you do a whole new theme altogether? Ideas please!

Here is my site!
    http://www.mrswright.com/2006-2007/classroomtour.html

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 12, 2007

I think everybody likes to change things up but personally I think your room is PERFECT! It is cute and engaging.

Starfish of the week.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

Hi, Rita! Honestly, I would NOT change it. You and I both put a lot of thought and money into our classroom themes (mine is our classroom "city"). I think the second graders will love being in the room again and getting books from the Booktime Beach! Maybe add one or two components to make the second graders say "Hey, that's awesome!!" and the first graders love being in your class. I'm sure you'll figure out something! I admired your room from last year's post.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

Rita, you probably don't want to make the new kids feel less welcome than your returning students, right? I can understand that, but that doesn't have to happen. You have a beautiful room and layout. Don't feel the need to change it. There's a reason why it worked well for you last year - it's great.

You could have a mermaid or merman of the week.