Dilemma, I Haven't Been in My New Room Yet

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Aspieteacher47, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 13, 2019

My former district phased out all special education for the past fifty years (long story in California we have other districts that serve other SELPA'S known as Offices of Education or the County Programs). My district served the needs of a two-district SELPA (Special Education Local Planning Area). In other words, we worked for two different districts and where our supervisor sent us to teach is the district we served. We mostly received students that were one step in the public school arena that were one step away from non-public school. We received the students with the lowest cognition, functional abilities, most behaviors, severely developmentally and physically and fragile. My county program decided this past school year to return our program to the SELPA to save money. I was taken by the new school district and they moved my class to a new school as well. I start next Monday (08/19/2019) with my students. Here is my biggest issue: I haven't been able to go in my new room to open my boxes and set up the room yet. I have requested from the office staff, but they haven't given me permission. I will attend two service days this week beginning on Thursday (08/15/2019) and Friday (08/16/2019). The representative from the school district wants to meet with us on Friday to discuss the transition from our county program into the district program and share how they handle their proceedings. I feel overwhelmed right now. I just want to begin setting up the room before my students arrive next Monday. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my story. Aspieteacher

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2019

That does sound overwhelming, Aspieteacher47, and frustrating into the bargain.

4. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Good News!
    I just began working on moving furniture in my room yesterday (08/15/2019 Thursday) and somewhat on Friday (08/16/2019). I still have quite a few boxes to unpack in there too. The students return on Monday, but I am going to see how am I going to teach. My room isn't even started. Our internet service is not working either. I guess I will have to be sending some emails soon.

5. Aspieteacher47

Aspieteacher47 Rookie

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:06 PM

Good News!
    I just began working on moving furniture in my room yesterday (08/15/2019 Thursday) and somewhat on Friday (08/16/2019). I still have quite a few boxes to unpack in there too. The students return on Monday, but I am going to see how am I going to teach. My room isn't even started. Our internet service is not working either. I guess I will have to be sending some emails soon.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:43 PM

That's awesome you were able to get into your room. :) I wonder why your internet is down. Bummer! Every yr, I get a former student to help me move things back in place. I hurt my back 1x and it took me 6 wks to feel better. After that, I won't lift heavy things. Make friends with parents who have strong kids. :)