Dilemma - Hoping this is the right place...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 13, 2010

Good Morning Fellow Teachers,

Hello! I love this site -- I am not able to post too often during the school year but love to read everyone's wonderful suggestions, etc. :hugs:

I need some advice. Firstly, I am very, very fortunate to have a job teaching. I have been at my current private school for 6 years. In those years, we've seen 2 changes in administration and much turn-over. Lots of inconsistency with teachers staying in the same grade level as well. In fact when my P met with me to sign my contract this year she said she was moving me to a different grade and that, in fact, there'd be changes in all grade levels. So that's all fine. Again, lucky to have a job and an amazing set of co-workers.

Incidentally, last summer I was looking around for a new school... A salary increase would have been nice, etc... Many schools did not have openings so I returned to my school of 6 years. Three days ago I get a call from one of the schools saying there's an opening in primary -- would I come in on Monday to talk about it.

I was very excited! I love new opportunities. I was sure to inquire about the salary, etc. before committing.

Last night (and I am so, so sorry if this is TMI but I have no idea where else to turn) I found out through an EPT that I am pregnant. Two more at-home tests agreed.

I have had two previous pregnancies, both which sadly ended in miscarriage. My husband and I are cautious, excited, all those emotions.

My questions: Should I bother with the interview? I'd feel badly starting at a new school pregnant; however, with my history of losses I am not even sure what will happen. I am not trying to sound super pessimistic, rather, realistic. I am not miserable at my current school, but a change would be delightful. Our current AP just resigned on Thurs., so more Admin shake up.

Thanks for reading so much.

Blessings to You & Your Families.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Starista,
    First of all welcome to atoz! It is a great place...
    If I were you, I would go ahead and interview with the school you are interested in. This early in the summer you would not be seen as jumping ship, and it sounds as if you are really wanting a school that has a bit more stability than the one where you currently teach.
    It doesn't hurt to go talk to the principal.

4. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 13, 2010

Definitely go Monday and talk to her. You have nothing to lose especially this early in the summer. Good luck!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

Congratulations!!!! Having had a miscarriage, I can certainly sympathize with the whole "trying not to get my hopes up but I'm REALLY EXCITED" thing.

Go for the interview. Had you not thought to take a test, you would have no idea yet that you're pregnant. If and when you get the job, you can deal with the rest. I'm all about honesty in the job search, but this is still very early in the pregnancy.

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

Go - find out if this is the place for you. If so, they will have managed pregnancy leaves and will be fine with you having a baby in the coming year - especially given your previous miscarriages. (Been there, too - no fun! Blessings and hugs!!)
    Keep us posted!!

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 13, 2010

Yes, go to the interview! :D Everything happens for a reason. :hugs:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

First off, congrats on the pg!!!! I've had 2 miscarriages so I know how you feel. I would go to the interview to see if the school really is the right fit for you. And cross the pg bridge later on! Good luck!

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Congrats on the pregnancy! I would go ahead with the interview. I can assure you that it will be perfectly fine if you start a school year with being pregnant. My first year, I started teaching and I was already 3 months pregnant. Everything worked out fine :) Good luck!

10. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jun 13, 2010

The one thing I can think of to be cautious about is, if you depend on employer-provided insurance now, will the new job provide insurance that will cover an existing pregnancy right away? If they don't, this would be less-than-ideal timing for a job change, especially if you end up needing special care to carry to term.

But definitely go to the interview and make a great impression; even if right now turns out to not be good timing for you, they may need you next year.

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 13, 2010

:love:Thank you all so much for your kind replies. :) I will post tomorrow how the interview goes! Again, thank you. :)

Many Blessings!

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 14, 2010

Congrats on the pregnancy! Go knock their socks off at the interview.

13. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

Definitely go to the interview and don't feel bad about starting a new job because you're pregnant (yeah!). I was in a similar situation last year. I went to the interview 7 weeks pregnant and took the job. I did ask my lawyer cousin for advice. He basically said they can't ask and I didn't have to tell (because even if you stay at your current school, you're probably not going to tell them until the contract says you have to inform them). He did say that if they did ask, he wouldn't recommend lying. I think I told my principal around 10-12 weeks.
    Definitely check on the insurance too, but I was under the impression that pregnancy cannot be considered a pre-existing condition when you are joining employer insurance.
    Good luck with everything and keep us updated!

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 15, 2010

I got the job!

Yeah!

I am so happy & thrilled. As it's barely 4 weeks, I did not mention pregnancy at all and do not plan to until I am out of the "risky" First Trimester.

I can clearly remember sharing with everyone my pregnancies of the past and then having to share about miscarrying... Not easy!

Thank you all SO MUCH for your support and encouragement!

Blessings & Love!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

YAY!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

Way to go!!!

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

congrats on new job and blessings on pregnancy!

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

You got the job! You got the JOB!!!! Things are looking pretty good....go celebrate. :)

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Congratulations!

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

Awesome! Good Luck!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

:thumb: Awesome! Congrat!

22. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

Blessings and congratualations. A new job and a baby on the way - you must be on Cloud 9!!! I know you are nervous b/c of your miscarriages, but it sounds like God is working everything out for you. Praise God!!!!!!!!

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

Congrats!!! =)

24. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 15, 2010

Congratulations on the pregnancy and the new job!

25. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jun 15, 2010

Congrats!

I hope everything goes PERFECT for you with your pregnancy (and job!)

I've had a miscarriage, too, so I understand your hesitation.

26. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jun 16, 2010

I can not thank you all enough for your help and support and encouragement. :)