Diigo - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dizzykates, Aug 4, 2013.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Do you use Diigo? I signed up last year, but never started using it. I can't even remember what it's for. I just changed some settings though and it seems to save/mark articles which might be useful. I am wondering who else uses it and what you do with it in the classroom.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

I've never heard of it. What does it do? Is the toolbar required to use it? I hate installing additional toolbars on my browser.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I love Diigo and use it all the time.

Diigo is a social bookmarking site.

It allows me to see my favorite websites on any computer. Because I have joined Diigo groups, I also can see all of the websites that people in that group have marked. For instance, a group might exist called "English Teachers" in which all sites marked are related to the English teacher classroom.

The best feature for me is it allows me to "tag" websites. So, if I find a website that is good information on writing for my students, I can tag it with something meaningful to me, e.g. "writing" and "students" and "EngIII" ... then, I can search and filter by those tags instead of just seeing a chronological list of favorites.

With the Diigo toolbar, it is quick to use.

It has other functions (e.g. highlighting, making notes on sites), but I don't use those functions.

5. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 6, 2013

Hmm... I don't have the toolbar anymore I guess. I need to spend some time exploring this. It sounds good, but like there's a bit of a learning curve.

How is it different/better than Feedly? Or do they just serve completely different purposes? I also haven't used Feedly, but I want to start reading blogs again and I know I need a feed to do that effectively.

Google reader shutting down really have saved me a lot of time...

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

I don't know Feedly ... sorry.