digital camera

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kem, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kem

kem Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I want to buy a new camera, and am wondering if any of you have one that you love, or would suggest. I'm not looking for a super nice one, just a pocket camera for general use- $200-300. The biggest things that I'm looking for are being able to zoom in and have clearer pictures, and something easy!! I know a lot of people who have trouble with blurry pictures, and I had the same issues with the camera I bought Fri (I may return it). However, since it seems to be sort of common, I'm thinking that there must be something with how we're taking the pictures-any advice? Thanks!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2008

I can tell you one NOT to get, Fujifilm. I had two & if you want to take action shots, this brand takes the shot 2-3 seconds after you press the button, so you'll never get the precise moment you want. My 2nd one also took blurry pictures at random times. I'd have to turn it on/off repeatedly, then it might be clear eventually & I'd take my pictures quick before it turns blurry again. I don't know why this brand did these things.

4. kem

kem Companion

Aug 4, 2008

That is funny-the one that I bought and don't like is Fugifilm :lol: I mostly got it b/c of the 5X zoom and that I could use my SD card...guess it doesn't matter if it takes crappy pictures though! Good to know-that makes me feel better about returning it.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

I am looking for a camera too. Now I know which one to stay away from!

6. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I have a Canon Power Shot and love it.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

I am looking for one too & I'm thinking of going with the Sony W-170 model. It's 10 mg & 5 optical & has a wide LCD. Costs $299 I'm still researching but so far I like this one the best. Would be interested in any other brands that are of similiar specs.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Really i wouldnt even spend that much on a pocket camera. Walmart has nice name brand ones for under $150. Mine just died- last night- so we're looking at getting a new one tonight. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9218693

I had a Samsung S700 that lasted for three years up until last night... the motor to the lens just stopped wanting to work so.. it turns on but since the lens doesnt know what to do it turns back off.

9. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I :wub: my Canon SD 1100 IS in bohemian brown--about $250. Sometimes on sale. Check the dell website maybe you can get educator discount.

10. kem

kem Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Canons seem to be getting the general nod from my friends/family too. I typcially don't spend much for cameras, b/c I don't use all of the features. I will be in Europe for a bit, so I do want something a little nicer than usual, but otherwise, I'm not much of a traveler (unfortunately), so the cheapies are fine. I also need to be able to zoom in on Brett Favre WHEN he's on the field this year : )

11. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

I just bought a good pocket camera on sale for about $159. It's a Nikon CoolPIX 8.0 Megapixels, 2.5 inch LCD. It zooms in and out, takes clear pictures, and is nice and compact. I would definitely recommend this for anyone that wants a camera that takes decent pictures.

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I LOVE my Cannon Elph.....light blue. It takes stills and videos. It's the best I've used!

13. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Canon cameras have always been the best. I just bought the Canon SD off of dell.com. The total came out to $260, but if you can find a 10% off dell.com home center you are in luck.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...oductdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A1284765

It is a great camera. It has a 3" screen with a WIDESCREEN view for all those big group shots you may need. It is 8 MP. I cannot say more how amazing this camera is. Its sleek - I love it.

I myself, really don't know much about digital cameras but my bf is a tech-geek and knows everything. We were in Circuit City a while back when I was looking for one and he took over speaking for the employee to a customer (i was a little embarrassed .. LOL) But he knows what is talking about and highly recommended this camera... I honestly wouldn't get anything other than a canon. If you want to go go 1-model down...which is just as good but the LCD screen is smaller, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1494444