"DIG DITCHES!"

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by confusedman, Dec 17, 2010.

1. confusedman

confusedman Rookie

Dec 17, 2010

Greetings.

First, I would like to sincerely thank all of you who have so generously contributed to my past two threads. It really meant a lot to me even though I did not reply.

Right now I am applying for Teach For America and other similar alternative teaching programs. I am a senior and feel these are my best options for a variety of reasons. I have some questions, however, I would like to pose to you.

1) I was told that as someone who is going into history some scary stuff. Recently someone told me I would most likely end up impoverished and hurt if I did so as:

a) you will never find a decent job.
    b) you can only be hired if you have contacts

Right now I am not sure if this person, who was pretty rude about it btw, is right or not. Am I really headed for defeat? I love history and serving others. The past few years in college have left a definitive mark upon me as I found myself involved in a wide variety of community service projects. I suppose that blend of intellectual and service, among other options, made me consider trying to pursue this path. I am not sure if I am making the right decision with the job market. Are things really this bad?!

2) "Dig Ditches!" Basically this quote came from another equally rude person. Only thing is I have heard it before, much like my other point. Is it true that there are classes impossible to have any discipline or respect given to you? Right now I have heard the horror stories of nasty and rotten kids and terrible parents burning teachers out so that they leave the profession.

I am not posting these questions to troll. Its just that I am naturally a nervous person, internally. I can man up and go through hardship if need be, but I am uncertain and I want input from those of you who are experienced and have taught for a while. Please help me.

Thank you all very much for your time! :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

So sorry that you were treated so rudely. No one can predict your career path, but it is quite a competitive climate.

I'm not personally knowledgeable on Teach for America, but does it place you in 'high need' schools? If so, you may just find your potential hiring prospects to be more positive...there ARE schools who are dying for passionate, dedicated professionals. If this is your dream and you can withstand the competitive climate and keep motivated, I'd say go for it.

I wish you well.

4. confusedman

confusedman Rookie

Dec 17, 2010

Thank you, sir.

I am also looking into the United Catholic Conference for Education, where one lives in a community of teachers for 2 years. There you teach and also work towards a MA in education. Do you think that the experience plus MA is a good thing as well?

Thank you!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

I'm not a sir:lol:

A masters degree will certainly pay off in the long run in terms of higher salary but it does make you a more 'expensive' hire...getting the experience and being able to live with and collaborate with other educators is definitely a plus though...many members here have worked or currently work in Catholic schools...is that where you would be getting your experiences? I do think that route may offer you good opportunity...

6. confusedman

confusedman Rookie

Dec 17, 2010

I will work wherever possible, my friend. Sorry about getting your name wrong btw.

Catholic school or a college preparatory is preferable (though pay is not...).:)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

Depending on where you live and what Catholic school, you can make a decent living...not extravagant,but comfortable. Good luck to you.

8. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 17, 2010

I am not yet a senior, but I do qualify for AARP.

Before you put all your time and money into teacher training I would say get a sub certificate and try it. I have learned what I can and can't take and I know what I am getting into.

It is not easy going alternate route but it is not impossible. If I had listened to all the negative rude people that told me to forget it I would not have had any of the rewarding experiences I have had in the last 3 years.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2010

I, too, recommend subbing while you're deciding upon a program. It's a good way to start building a teaching resume. History is not a high needs subject in my city, but they do always need a few teachers. This is why an alternative route program would be perfect for you. It puts you right into the school system. During your program, work toward getting good letters of recommendation so you're ready to jump in when the opportunity arises.

10. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 18, 2010

History is probably the most competitive area to try and get into teaching. I don't know the exact numbers, but I would say almost every history major I've ever talked to is planning on teaching Social Studies. So.. it's a saturated field.

This is not to say that they don't hire Social Studies teachers. You'll just really have to work to make connections and shine in whatever school you're placed in.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

When people say something about digging ditches, I cringe. My father ran an excavating business that dug a lot of ditches. Don't discount this as a career. We lived a great life on ditch digger wages.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2010

I think the Conference for Education sounds like a really good plan.