Difficulties with teaching observations

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Eccentric Python, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Eccentric Python

Eccentric Python Rookie

Mar 7, 2017

Hello, I am currently in a master's program for secondary education and working on obtaining my secondary teaching credential. I have done very well in my classes, but found extreme difficulties in one area that I thought would have been the easiest, and that are would be committing to my teaching observations.

I was very excited to start my teaching observations, but unfortunately I have had the worst experience possible in all my observations. While I have absolutely no problem communicating with students I have found the teachers to be absolute nightmares. They insult my passion for education with laughter followed by remarks such as "You'll hate your life in a couple of years," or "You can't really help most of these students. They are a lost cause." This kind of language is disgusting coming from teachers especially considering the fact that they do not appreciate the importance of their jobs. I have always remained calm and respectful when around educators, but sometimes I find it difficult to keep my jaw from dropping after hearing some of the things that they had to say. Furthermore, there was a ridiculous amount of sexism and racism that I have come across as well. So many teachers spend their time talking trash behind each other's backs.

What's worse is the fact that so few teachers even let me do observations because they think I am just going to disturb their class. Most of the time I get permission to observe a classroom from a principle and the teacher complies begrudgingly. I also have to practically hunt them down to email me their confirmation of completed observation. I mean, even if you want to give me a bad review I would still appreciate having one!

I am getting my credential and degree through Phoenix, and so I have no physical contact with anyone. No one in my class(es) lives near me and only a few have had similar experiences, but not nearly to the extent that I have. I'm starting to think that there is just something wrong with me and maybe I have some sort of attitude problem that no one has ever told me about before? I'm always an extremely nice person around teachers and even give gift cards to teachers that cooperate with me. My experiences are starting to lead me to the belief that maybe I am not capable of being a teacher because teachers clearly do not respect me whatsoever. I feel like a complete failure, but I still dream of being in a classroom with students as a teacher. I'm just... very discouraged by what I have come across. I know not all teachers are like this, but I am either having extremely bad luck or there is seriously something wrong with me. How can I find out? I have tried to politely ask teachers if I did anything to offend them, but they just roll their eyes at me. I am scared to go out there and do more observations because the ridicule has reached to a point that I have social anxiety over it now.

3. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Mar 7, 2017

Hi,
    Sorry you have had this experience. Anyone who makes a statement such as you described is lost and needs to do a real assessment as to why they are still working as a teacher IMHO. If anyone can make a difference in a child's life, it is a teacher (for ill or good). I do not condone bad behavior, but it is the behavior, not the child that I challenge. Make up your own mind about whether or not you want to teach. Do not let other's opinions change yours. Find a place where you like teaching. We are not "serfs" who are tied to a particular school. We are nomads and pioneers, missionaries and pilgrims looking for a place where we make a difference. Find yours.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Mar 7, 2017

WOW! Those teachers need to lose their jobs! They probably are doing you that way because they are aware of the fact that you are an intern or a student. I am assuming that your observation holds no real merit. However even if that is the case, teachers should hold respectful and professional attitudes. They were once students before!.
    It makes me angry when teachers are RUDE

5. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Mar 7, 2017

Everyone is a learner at something. I went yesterday to get a battery at a local parts store (where they install the battery). I patiently watched a new employee ( 2 days) fumble at the job. Since I have been a mechanic myself for 40 years I knew how to do the job and since I have been a teacher for 30 years I knew how to use this teachable moment to help him do his job and guided him through the process telling him about pitfalls and things to watch. When he finished he thanked me, when I told him I was a mechanic and retired teacher he thanked me again and said he knew it was something like that, no one else would be that patient or kind (about his inexperience). This is the reason we all got into this line of work (teaching). We do and can make a difference every day, just doing what we do. Keep doing what we do, try to be positive, and know that the world is a better place for what we do.

ms.irene likes this.
  6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 7, 2017

Just curious - are you letting these teachers know you're getting your degree through Phoenix? What grades are you wanting to observe?

7. msleep

msleep Rookie

Mar 7, 2017

Why should this matter? That information is irrelevant to the way they should be treating this student teacher.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 8, 2017

Should or does are not always the same.

But... I'll tell you why it does matter for some people. Phoenix has a horrible reputation. Classroom observers can be disruptive to some classes. I'm sure there are many teachers that aren't willing to have their classroom disrupted for the sake of a program they do not respect.

bella84 and czacza like this.
  9. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Mar 8, 2017

OP is it an option to transfer to a brick and mortar school? Usually education programs at local colleges have built a partnership with local public schools, so when you go into the school it is welcoming and friendly.

2ndTimeAround likes this.
  10. henryflynn

henryflynn Guest

Mar 14, 2017

The difficulty with an online degree is the lack...other students. Also,observation of current master teachers and modeling teaching with the class are important.Dissertation Help