Difficulties Passing the VCLA

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Bubbly855, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bubbly855

Bubbly855 New Member

Apr 19, 2015

Has anyone had trouble passing the VCLA? I took the writing subtest and got an unofficial score of 82% on the multiple choice section. On the summaries, I did not do very well. I have taken the writing subtest three times. The first time I took the writing subtest, I failed the multiple choice, but did really well on the writing. Does anyone have any advice? I have taken the RVE, Praxis I, and Social Studies Praxis and passed all of those tests.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

Hello Bubbly,
    I just took the VCLA Saturday. So you received a score of 82% on the writing multiple choice but still failed the writing test because of the summary and essay? Were the reading test points able to help improve your overall score? Did you give yourself enough time on the writing portions and stay within the word count? Do the official scores include critiques of your writing portions so you know what to improve upon, such as structure and flow versus grammar and spelling? Have you taken the practice tests on the VCLA website? Perhaps hiring an English tutor to go over the concepts for the writing portion would be helpful. Also, there is a study guide book by XAMonline-it's not perfect, but it can help. You may be able to find it for free at your local library.
    I thought I did well on the writing but if you can fail the writing with a raw score of 82% then I guess I'll be frantically awaiting my score for the next 10 days. I struggled with condensing the summary into the word count which didn't leave me a lot of time for the final essay portion. I was hoping that a decent score on the multiple choice would help my chances for any oversights and errors in the writing due to the time constraint, but now I am not so sure! Good luck.

4. Teacher2be$

Teacher2be$ New Member

Jun 14, 2015

I just took the Vcla yesterday and didn't do so well. I wanted to know did both of you end up passing the Vcla test. I ended up getting a 71%on the writing portion and didnt have enough time to complete my essay.

5. Nov 30, 2015

I took my VCLA today and got the subscore on the reading of an 85% and a subscore of 68% on the writing I was however able to finish both of my essays. I was wanted to know if you ended up passing? As the writing part is 50% multichocie and 50% of the written.

6. Bubbly855

Bubbly855 New Member

Dec 5, 2015

I took the VCLA on November 21st and got unofficial scores of 74% on the reading subtest and 82% on the writing multiple choice subtest. I got my test results back yesterday and I got a 235 on the reading subtest and 237 on the writing subtest. My total score was 472 and you need a 470 to pass. I passed by two points. You should definitely pass the reading subtest. I am not sure about the writing subtest because 50% of the score is the written section. However, if you don't pass the writing and get above 235 on the reading, you can still pass the test with a composite score. If you scored an 85% on the reading subtest, you should definitely get above a 235 for the reading. I hope you passed. Could you let me know if you passed?

7. morgan58

morgan58 New Member

Jan 17, 2016

Hello,
    I studied pretty hard for this test and I was surprised to get a raw score of 74% on both subtests. I was wondering if that was passing. I really hope so! I do not want to have to take this test again!

8. morgan58

morgan58 New Member

Jan 17, 2016

bubbly855, I am interested in your raw score of 74% and then your score of 235. I got 74% as a raw score for both, and I really hope that is passing. I just hope my essays were good enough to help bump up my score. I can't sleep because I am so anxious about passing and I do not want to wait the 10 days for my results!

9. Lian

Lian Guest

Jan 19, 2016

I got an 80% on the writing portion. Did anyone else get an 80% of the writing subtest? If so, do you mind sharing your scaled score?
    Please... Any help would be appreciated...

10. ladybee4

ladybee4 Rookie

Feb 19, 2016

I took this test 2 weeks ago and just got me scores back tonight. My exit scores were 91% reading and 74% writing. My official scores were 281 Reading and 232 Writing. I needed a 470 to pass and got a 513 combined. Haven't been in school for over a decade and have never been a great writer, so I was happy to have passed the first time! Hope these score breakdowns can help someone else. Waiting for 2 week is not fun!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 19, 2016

Official congratulations now, ladybee4!

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

Mar 5, 2016

Hello Morgan58,

I don't believe I received an immediate score on my writing. When my results came back, it showed a 270. Good luck to you!

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

Mar 5, 2016

Congratulations, ladybee4!

The test was quite long, so you must feel relieved!

14. linn418

linn418 New Member

Jun 19, 2016

I am interested in teaching in VA. I took the RVE last month and passed it. I took the VCLA yesterday and I received 80% on the reading and 65% on the writing multiple choice section. I had enough time to complete the summary and the argument parts; I think I did well. According to the new scoring criteria, I do not think I passed the reading and the writing multiple choice section. Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

15. NancyLilian

NancyLilian New Member

Jul 6, 2016

Do you remember what you wrote about in the essay? If so, please let me know ASAP. I am studying for the Writing Sub Test. The third is the charm!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2016

The VCLA writing task involves a set question. Please don't ask test takers to share actual specific test questions: test companies can and do monitor sites like these to ensure that actual specific test questions aren't being divulged, and they can and do take action, up to and including revoking a passing test score.

17. NancyLilian

NancyLilian New Member

Jul 6, 2016

Good to know. Thank you.

18. Tvd96

Tvd96 New Member

Jul 8, 2016

I took the vcla test today and scored a 74% on the reading subtest and a 68% on the writing subtest. I was able to write both of my essays and I feel pretty confident about them so hopefully that can bring my writing score up some. I am freaking out about my scores and was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on whether or not you think I passed. Thank you!!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

74% on reading is promising. 68% on writing is less so, though if you wrote organized essays that do what the test questions specified, that may rise.

I should add that raw scores, such as percentage correct, don't necessarily map neatly onto scaled scores: test questions and test versions can vary in difficulty, so the percentage that yields a slightly-under-passing scaled score from one version of the test can perfectly well produce a slightly-over-passing scaled score from a different version.

Hugs, Tvd96: I know the waiting isn't fun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Tvd96 likes this.
  20. Tvd96

Tvd96 New Member

Jul 8, 2016

Thank you so much for getting back to me. So you think I have high hopes in passing reading?

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

I think it will depend on the test version.

22. linn418

linn418 New Member

Jul 8, 2016

I apologize, I cannot and would not share that information with you. According to the statement I signed, it would be breaking their rules. Sorry, I wish you all the best in your taking the exam.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2016

Quick review of the VCLA study guide indicates that one task typically is a summary of a passage and the other typically is a persuasive essay for which some reasons for and against the .

Tell you what: let me post a persuasive essay prompt, and let's brainstorm about how to write it. (Yes, it sounds trivial, but often the silly-looking examples are the ones that make the principles clear.)

The prompt:
    Pumpkin pie is widely considered a dessert food on account of its appearance and the sugar it contains, but its ingredient list also includes vegetable, egg, and dairy. Would you ever consider pumpkin pie for breakfast? Why or why not?

24. Perry Reid

Perry Reid Guest

Feb 4, 2017

Greetings Teachers! I want to help by not only posting my percentages but actually coming back and giving you my final results. I know your pain, I took the test 7 times and finally passed. So don't give up.

I took the writing and reading and theses were my percentages and final scores.
    Writing 74%
    Reading 77%

My final scores were
    Writing 223
    Reading 248
    My final scores were 471.

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  25. Teachingsped

Teachingsped Rookie

Feb 16, 2017

Do you think after they grade the essay your score could go even further down?
    I got a 71% on the writing and 80% on the reading. I don't think I passed :( I had to rush through the essays.

26. teach345

teach345 Guest

Mar 16, 2017

I need your help! I received 71% raw score on my reading, do you think I pass?

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2017

Hugs, teach345. If you don't pass the reading section, I think you'll have come fairly close to passing. A resource you might find useful is Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, published by LearningExpress.

28. Nps17

Nps17 Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Hello,

I just finished the VCLA and scored 88% on the reading and 60% on the writing is there a way to know I passed?

29. Nps17

Nps17 Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Hi Amber,

Did you pass the VCLA with these scores?

30. Tnicdaye03

Tnicdaye03 Guest

Oct 15, 2017

I am 8 points away for passing the VCLA. I have taken it 5 times. I am looking for more study material. Any suggestions?
    Feeling discouraged.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2017
  31. Rickey Pulliam

Rickey Pulliam Rookie

Nov 28, 2017

What did your 88 percent scale to and did you pass?

32. ThatDudeDMV

ThatDudeDMV New Member

Jan 19, 2018

You all are making me nervous! I haven't taken the test yet and have been taking notes while watching Khan Academy videos on grammar. What other guides, videos, sources have others used to prepare? I've never been great at reading/writing/grammar, etc.

CiscoKid88 likes this.
  33. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 9, 2018

I take the writing subtest for the second time Saturday. I got a 251 on the reading. So I have to get a 219 or higher to combine the scores to get a 470. I’m really nervous as well.

34. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018

Ok so I got a 83 on the reading subtest and a 74 on the writing subtest what are my chances?

35. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018

What was your final scores with your raw scores being that?

36. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018

Hey what was your raw scores and scaled scores?

37. Ashley Tyler

Ashley Tyler Rookie

Apr 10, 2018

I got a 60% on my writing portion. I know the written parts are not graded yet and count for 50%. Do you think I still have a chance at passing?

I got a 80% on the reading portion so I am pretty sure I passed that part.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  38. CiscoKid88

CiscoKid88 Rookie

May 22, 2018

Depends really on the essay. How did you do on reading? Did you get your scores?

39. Tev Swany

Tev Swany New Member

May 24, 2021

TRUST ME, I UNDERSTAND. No need to feel discouraged, keep your head up, to this day I still have not met someone who has failed more times than me. (I consider myself a pretty decent student; AP Language and Literature classes in high school, 3.4 GPA in college). I am about to go on my 16TH ATTEMPT! GOOD LUCK! I may be late, but GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE ELSE READING THIS, WE GOT THIS!

40. Cass

Cass New Member

Jun 11, 2021

I just took my vcla. I got a 71% on reading and an 82% on writing for my preliminary scores. Does anyone have any info if that is a passing score???