Difficult Team Member

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MathGuy82, Jan 23, 2016.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jan 23, 2016

Hello everyone,

I am working with a difficult team member teaching high math. The principal is very supportive of my actions confronting this team member. However the difficult team member is more qualified than me and they do not want to dismiss her. We are developing a math program at a new school over the past year. The last year a math teacher I was working with quit and we hired a new one this year. We are on the only two in math department and work in rooms right next to each other. Well turns to find out she asks me to go out after school time to do certain activities alone with her. When I decline or say I only want it to be with others, she retaliates passive aggressively within the next day or two when I decline. For instance, when I decline it may be calling me out when we have a meeting or being rude to me in front of other students..... Or makes indirect comments about my body and compares me to other men in a negative way. She's also starts showing me pictures of other guys much younger than her like in her early 20's. I am in my early 30's and she is in her late 40's divorced twice. My principal says this is sexual harassment and will talk to her if this ever happens again. I confronted the colleague and she "sort of" apologized. I still feel angry towards her and I think it may be hard to stay and work with her. She has been a lot better in the last week. . I basically blocked her number because she would call me at really weird hours or text like a 3am talking about school stuff. Should I wait and stay it out the rest of the year and see how it goes or start looking for a new teaching job for next year? It just feels very weird working with her:(

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2016

You should not quit. Report any further actions as sexual harassment. If your admin doesn't do anything about it, they could face legal issues.

WonderW05, Caesar753 and PallasAthena like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2016

In addition to what czacza said, document every interaction you have with her that is not necessary school interaction.

PallasAthena likes this.
  5. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Jan 24, 2016

Excellent!!! Thank you all so much for the valuable info:)

6. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 27, 2016

Good evening everyone! I am back to report that some of the behavior continued and I emailed the principal about it. I will not speak to her (the teacher colleague continuing this behavior) since she is so mean and I let the principal know the behavior continued by another email. The principal was supportive and brought the human resources team in and they interviewed me and saw a journal I kept. The principal and most other colleagues seemed extra nice the after this happened. Is this good? I have not heard anything back from the principal or human resources since I had a meeting on Monday, 26th of Feb. Are they probably thinking about what to do with this weirdo of a teacher? I have never in my life have felt the presence of weirdness and creepiness than this teacher. I hope they fire her. I hate to say that but it's effecting my work ability a lot. If they don't fire or punish her and make me talk to her, it may mean resignation or looking for a new position somewhere else next year.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2016

It may take a bit of time to find out what happens. If they do nothing, you possibly have a legal case against the district.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  8. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 28, 2016

Thank you czacza!! You are making me feel better! Do you know why it takes so long? Is it because they have to investigate?

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2016

There may be specific protocol to follow.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2016

Mathguy it sounds like you are holding all the cards here. Just try to relax or do the things that help you deal best with stress. If you like this place and most of the people there try to hang on.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  11. Math

Math Cohort

Feb 29, 2016

I feel like you should stay because you are valuable to this district. I also believe you should stay because the Principal did not just blow you off the Principal did something.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  12. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 29, 2016

Thanks for the support Math and stephenpe!!

13. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Mar 9, 2016

Well human resources investigated and it turned out okay. Even though it was the right thing, I feel guilty for reporting this person. It has turned out great now and I don't have to be bothered by her which is nice! I wish I didn't have to report. I hope people don't think of me as the tattle tale. I just know it was the right thing to do though.

14. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 10, 2016

I am glad everything turned out okay.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2016

You did the right thing!

MathGuy82 likes this.
  16. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Mar 16, 2016

Thank you Math and czacza!

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 17, 2016

So glad it was resolved. If you didn't do anything about it then she could have terrorized someone else also!