difficult students taking up all my energy

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Iris228, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 3, 2008

I have a wonderful first grade group..mostly. there are a couple who I am really struggling with. The first has a lot of trouble staying seated, whines he can't do anything and is disruptive. He will knock over his crayon box purposely, trip on purpose, yell out and refuse to do work because "I don't know how" when he clearly does. He'll say the color blue is red just to prove how he "doesn't know."

I have started a beh. management system on his desk where he can earn stickers for being on task and doing a good job. I try to provide stickers each period a day and when I catch him being particularly well behaved. When he gets 10 he can go to the treasure box. Some days this works. Other days it doesn't. It seems like he just gives up if he doesn't earn a sticker. The rest of the day is completely shot. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do. I know he does want the praise, however, he also responds to negative attention from peers/teachers--it does not bother him at all to have you upset with him if he's getting any kind of attention.

The second student torments others in our class. He will trip people, take things from other students and just lie and say he didn't. I've caught him several times in the act of taking things that don't belong to him, tripping students on purpose, calling children "babies" or other names. He'll say he didn't do it though I SAW him do it, he's even gone as far as to accuse the other child of doing what HE did.

I move him to yellow on the traffic light system. This causes him to lose choice time at the end of the day. He has also lost Fun Friday time. The rude behavior continues. He can be very well behaved at times...unlike the other student he is very capable of sitting and working hard. When he's doing well he can be wonderful but he acts out for attention and is just terrible to the other students.

I feel like I spend my whole day dealing with them and it's just not fair to the other students. They interrupt the flow of the day all day long because I have to stop and redirect them constantly. Sorry this is so long! I'm at my wits end..lol

3. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Oct 3, 2008

I think we all have kids like them! I would definately get in contact with home if you have not already done so. Hope things get better for you! I have a 4th grade class that is just full of terrors! They were terrors in 3rd and now in 4th. I just hope I never get observed during this class b/c they are so rude and mean to eachother.

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

Good to know I'm not the only one in this situation. I just wish there was something I could to to really bring out the best in these students that I just KNOW is there. They are both good kids who really want to behave (I really do think that they do) but just have awful home circumstances and perhaps other issues that result in the behaviors I'm seeing in class. I feel like I'm doing them and the rest of the class a disservice by allowing myself to get upset because my behavior plan just isn't stopping these behaviors. I can just feel myself getting frustrated in dealing with them and I hate that. I also hate how dealing with them eats up the time I'm spending with the rest of the class.:unsure: