Difficult Student

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Maithal, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 16, 2014

I have a boy, a 4 year old, who is a runner. He runs around the room and won't sit still. So far I have 13 kids and will have a full set of 18 I hear later. Noises bother him, and he covers his ears and screams/cries.

I have an aide, but between the 2 of us, we run after him. He speaks Spanish and doesn't understand a lot of English. He won't look you in the eyes either and doesn't sit for breakfast or lunch well. We already started the SRBI process for flight behavior.

How do you handle this when you have 12 other students who need your attention? He won't sit still for even a minute. Tried to leave the room today. Actually left the room yesterday. I was mortified, and embarrassed. Was called into principal's office, but she was firm about safety, but supportive. I cried yesterday. Today I put up a stop sign and taught them about how they must "stop" and wait for one of us teachers to open the door. However, this boy couldn't attend to that for even a minute.

Anyone experience this? Advice? TIA! :)

3. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Sep 17, 2014

As a preschool sped teacher these behaviors are either esl issues or ASD. I have a few students who like to run. I would suggest pictures as guides and schedule for him. A stop sign, quiet mouth, walking feet ect. Can use clip art but board marker is a great program. Say all done and show it with your hands. Keep tons of data on the situation because he may need a ados screening.