Difficult student kinder

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newkindermom, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 3, 2016

This year has been so rough!! Can it be June already??
    I have a student with autism (finally being diagnosed at 6).. He was put in my reg ed classroom bc parents would not allow a placement in a sub separate classroom. My school does not have aides for kinder. This student makes my life difficult just about every minute of the day. He is so low socially, academically, so so immature. He basically can not function independently at all. The last few weeks his behaviors have gotten so extreme and I have been given no support and the school has said they will not move him to a smaller group setting and I just have to deal with it. I feel like with so many other students, it is so unfair to all the other kids! Between screaming/crying fits, biting, exposing himself to classmates, swearing at teachers, needing an individual redirection for every single activity, forget about actually doing any work at all... It's a sad situation for everyone, but I personally feel like I will probably go crazy before the year is over.. Or maybe quit.. I don't know how I can keep doing this for 4 more months..
    I also want to add I have tried so many behavior charts and they have not been effective at all..

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 3, 2016

I'm sorry, that's awful :(

Perhaps people with a SPED background can give you some survival tips.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 4, 2016

Document, document, document.

If the student has an IEP, have they had an OT evaluation?

Backroads likes this.
  5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2016

Many autistic children are obsessed with a topic, cartoon character, etc. Will your admin allow you to let this child spend much of the day on a computer doing educational activities on a site with his favorite characters, topic, or whatever?

6. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 4, 2016

Thank you for the ideas! He already receives every service we offer at our school (ot, speech, counseling, etc.) I could put him on the computer more but usually he screams/cries and throws fits when he doesn't want to do something and he doesn't really like the computer (he just ends up staring off into space or hurting the computer). He wants to do what the other kids are doing but then needs 1-1 help and I am by myself! Especially hard during center time.. So usually he ends up stimming, playing, making noises, or getting into other trouble..

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 6, 2016

Reach out to the parents...find out what he "loves." I had a student that loved Legos. I made that one of my centers. My student went there everyday and the other kids rotated to him. It worked for at least thirty or forty minutes a day, allowing me to do a few small groups.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 9, 2016

Doing Legos as a center is definitely not an option for me. I would probably be fired if I had Legos out at any time in my classroom.. Except maybe Friday afternoon at the end of the day.
    I have been finding in the last week since I wrote that ignoring him seems to work best for a lot of the behaviors. It's just sad because he should be getting much more help and a large classroom with no aides is not the place for him.
    I speak to the parents frequently but they don't seem to understand how much his behavior differs from peers and how much he is struggling to do basic tasks.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 9, 2016

Legos teach a lot of skills. They help with fine motor skills. I also use structured block play. I have photos of items that my students have built. My current students have to reproduce them. I use legos in my reading centers by having word chunks written on the sides and children build words and record them. I use a lot of hands on like legos to teach my concepts. We play Candyland with cards that have sight words on them instead of just colors. We play Connect Four with checkers that have sight words on them. Students have to read the word and use it in a sentence before they can use the piece in the game.

Backroads likes this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2016

Have you tried a "First...Then..." board with him? Use pictures of 2 activities--one that he must do, and a preferred activity that he can do (for a limited period of time) when that is finished. A visual timer may also help to encourage him to remain at/on task for a short period of time. Sensory items, such as play-doh or stress balls, may help to calm him. It will also be helpful to do some tracking to find out specifically what his triggers are. A student I worked with a few years ago was very sensitive to certain noises and would have a melt down every time the teacher rang the bell she used to get the students' attention and we all thought he was having a problem with having to transition from one activity to another. Once we switched the bell for visual signal (flicking the lights), transitions were much smoother for him.

Hang in there and take a mental health day if you need it. Continue to document and communicate with parents and administration about his challenges.

11. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 9, 2016

I totally agree with you! I love your ideas.. I'm just not allowed to do that, it's ridiculous. If I could do the fun things you do I wouldn't have nearly as many behavior problems as i do on a daily basis.

12. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 9, 2016

Thanks.. I have recently taken a few mental health days which is so not like me. The whole situation is so taxing on me I've had to.

13. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 9, 2016

So, your kids can't play or use manipulatives at all in the classroom?? Do they not understand that these are 5 and 6 year olds??

Backroads likes this.
  14. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

No, they do not understand 5 and 6 year olds at all. I've actually started just doing more hands on activities for my sanity and it has made a big difference in behavior and engagement... Because I hopefully will not be coming back next year. But, no, games are not OK, manipulatives are ok but only if they are doing something "rigorous" with them. I was letting kids partner read for... Fun (gasp!) and was told I was a bad teacher essentially... In kindergarten.. Because "students shouldn't be wasting time like that."

15. Reagan

Reagan Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Do your administrators understand child development? Have they picked up a research study lately?

Backroads likes this.
  16. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2016

I so could have written the same exact post 3 years ago. Except I had crazy Mamma drama in my story. Mine cried everyday all day long. If he wasn't crying he was yelling at me, throwing tantrums. There was absolutely nothing done. My principal did what she could but she truly believed this kid had nothing wrong with him other than crazy Mom and no respect. So his entire year of kinder was an absolute waste of time for him and the other 17 kids I had in that class. I tried to get a transfer after the year was over and was denied. I thought she was the worst principal ever for not helping me. I cried everyday after day after school. I was mean and hateful to my family because that all I was getting at school. Then the Mom tried to attack my family by accusing my son (17) of somethings, it truly was a CRAZY time in my life. But I will say it made me a better stronger teacher. Yes I am way less tolerant of crying nowadays. Now I say if I survived this kid, I can survive anything. If I survived that crazy parent I can survive any crazy parent. As for the principal, I think I gained a lot of respect from her for putting up with her and her lack of help, even when all I wanted to do was jump ship. I am now totally glad I didn't get that transfer, it would have been a very bad mistake on my part. I am a good teacher and so are you. So keep up the hard work, keep trucking along, the year will end soon. You will be able to rest and relax over the summer and truthfully when school starts again you will forget all about him. (Unless he sees you in the hallway and tells you he loves and misses you, LOL) BTW in first grade he was diagnosed with seizures and severe ADHD. He takes meds now and doing really really well. He made student of the 6 weeks last 6 weeks and I was so proud of him. I told him and crazy Mamma that.

Backroads likes this.
  17. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 29, 2016

I've had students that were very difficult and I knew something wasn't right with them. However, because there wasn't a "big" enough discrepancy (sp) between that students and the others or because they were seen as too young or they just needed "time to grow." Then, when they got into first grade, they finally qualified for services and I saw kids who were difficult in my class get the help they needed and these students were so pleasant after they got that help. I'm always thinking, "I was wish I would've had this pleasant side of you in my class!" In m experience, it's very difficult to get the help these kids need when they are in kindergarten.

Backroads and txmomteacher2 like this.
  18. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

Thanks f
    thanks for sharing your experience! I'm glad you made it through and it worked out in the end for the student and you. I wish the same outcome for this student, but he really has more severe special needs and needs 1-1 instruction, he had just been given autism diagnosis this year. I will definitely look back on this time and be proud I got through it, but never want to go through this again.

19. Newkindermom

Newkindermom Rookie

Mar 29, 2016

It really is! Administrators seem to think it's ok to wait and see in kinder but other grades they seem to get what they need? Or the action is finally taken then. I think the worst part is all of the other students in the class have had to deal with all year too.. Being bitten, hit, screaming fits interrupting learning.. Imagine if your child was in this room! I would not want that for mine. Even though it's one child, it's incredibly disruptive and not fair to everyone and like it was said before, this is a total waste of a year for the child disrupting everyone else's learning... So frustrating!

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 29, 2016

Props to you kinder teachers. There's a reason my certification starts with first grade!

I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance of mine who wants to go into teaching. She wants to teach kinder because she thinks it's the easiest grade.

:dizzy:

I told her I thought the early childhood years were the most difficult due to undiagnosed difficulties, kids who have never been told no and are now in a room of other children and are expected to *gasp* actually do as they are told and not hit the kid next to them, and are the first year of schooling so the k teachers get to break in the helicopter parents.

Kinders are the cutest things walking down the hallway and I love seeing them at my dismissal duty. They say some of the cutest things! It really is a great age. But I would never, ever, ever say that kinder is the easiest grade.

Ever.

21. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 30, 2016

One of my military pals was talking about a former Marine in her unit: a huge giant terrifying example of a man.

When he retired, he became a kindergarten teacher. Apparently the kids loved him, and on the occasion a parent wanted to be crazy, they thought twice upon seeing him.

txmomteacher2 likes this.
  22. minnie

minnie Cohort

Mar 30, 2016

There needs to be more male kindergarten teachers!

Backroads likes this.
  23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2016

I was going to post this same exact thing.