Difficult Situation

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Beth2004, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 14, 2006

Sorry this is so long!!

As many of you know, I'm a first year third grade teacher at a private school. There were 21 third graders this year so they decided to open up a new 3rd grade classroom (there has always only been one class per grade) to keep the classes smaller and I was hired for that room. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but the other third grade teacher at the school is a little rough around the edges and I was told that my class was hand-picked for me because of that. I was given all of the more sensitive children because of the fear that they wouldn't be able to handle having the other teacher. I was given my list of 11 students in August and sent out all of my welcome letters and what-not. Then, about a week later, I was told that the principal's nephew would be attending the school this year and he was placed in my class (because he is very sensitive) so one of my students was moved to the other third grade to keep the numbers even. I ended up with 11 students until last week when one of them moved.

Today we had a staff meeting and a parent came in to speak with the principal. She seemed very upset and concerned about her son (in the other 3rd grade) but obviously nothing was discussed in front of us and I forgot all about it since it had nothing to do with me. About an hour later the principal came into my room to let me know that the boy that was originally placed in my class and then moved would be starting in my class as of tomorrow. He has had a terrible time in the other third grade and his mom is not happy. he actually stayed home from school today because he was so upset about the situation.

I have to admit, I was a little flattered that she would be moving him to my room and trusting me to basically fix the situation. I'm nervous now, though, because I've never dealt with a new student coming into my room and I know that the other third grade is ahead of us because he started with academics on the first day of school and I didn't really get into the curriculum until about the 3rd day. I'm afraid to ask the other teacher how far they've gotten, though, in case there are some hard feelings there about the whole situation. I don't want him to hold it against me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2006

It sounds like things are going just fine! Don't worry about his pacing of his class. After things settle down a little and you are more comfortable and familiar with the curriculum and your classroom, then you can casually discuss where you both are in each subject. By then, you'll be confident about everything and if he has hard feelings now, they will have calmed down a little. As for your new student, just speak privately about how glad you are that he'll be joining you and that you appreciate his patience when you are doing things he's already done. He's had a rough time and this may be his opportunity to shine! I have a feeling he'll enjoy it - and his peers may get to see him in a more positive way.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 14, 2006

I hadn't thought of it that way, but I was just talking with my dad and he was pretty much saying the same thing. Because this boy has already done some of the things that we'll be doing it'll probably boost his confidence which after having such a rough few weeks of school will probably be a really good thing!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2006

This just happened in my school as well. Don't worry- this kiddo will be so happy to be in your room that he won't mind at all if you cover academics he was exposed to already in the other room. He was originally on your list and probably started school disappointed for being moved after receiving your welcome letter...Leave it to the administration to explain the situation to your colleague. You did not cause the move so there should be no hard feelings against you. In fact, the other teacher may be glad to lose 'a sensitive one'...:love:

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2006

Beth- don't worry about it. Even if it's review to him, he will benefit. Either way, he will be so happy to be out of the other class he probably won't remember.

Just keep doing what you were doing. He is in your class now, and will make a nice adjustment.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Sep 14, 2006

Beth,

I have had this situation before from the opposite spectrum, a child was moved to me and the other teacher was not as far along in the curriculum as I was. The mother was so glad to have her child moved that she didn't care that it took a little extra practice at night to catch her up. I also had her a "buddy" to go over facts and vocabulary with her when there was any "down time". The child ended up being one of my top students once she got into the routine

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 15, 2006

Things went well with him today. He had already taken the history test that I gave my class today, but I just had him write the "I am" poem that my students did on the first day of school. It gave him something to do during that time and now he'll have one hung up on the wall with the others. His class ended up being on the same pages that we're on for math and language so everything is really falling into place. It's going to be a bit of a struggle because the other teacher does things pretty differently than I do, but we'll make it work. He seems like a great kid.

9. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 15, 2006

A few years ago, this happened to me as well. A child was moved to my room and the other teacher and I were not at the same area in the curriculum. The topic of that never came up and I don't think was a concern for the parent. Her overall concern was that her son was not getting the support that he needed and she felt that her son and the other teacher had a personality conflict. She felt that the othet teacher was always putting him down, which was not helping him in any way. I don't know what happened I just know that when he came to me, we went on as if everything were the same and didn't question it. It took him a day or two to catch onto my routines and procedures but by the end of the year, he was just one of us. Your little guy will do just fine too, I'm sure.