Difficult Parents

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Tish&Yanira, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Tish&Yanira

Tish&Yanira Rookie

Mar 20, 2014

Hey everyone we hope you are all doing well :) we have a question and wondered what other educators had to say about the topic. We both work very hard to strive for the absolute best in our classrooms as we are sure all of you do as well. But there are those parents that at times push us to the very level of insanity. The rules in the class room are clear and consise for every one, no one is favored and everyone is treated the same. Why is it that some parents expect red carpet treatment? How do you all deal with difficult parents? We would love to get your insight on this topic ;) Thank you all and have a fabulous day !

The dynamic duo

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2014

I've found myself in the last couple years saying things like, "Thank you for sharing". And then forgetting we ever spoke.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 20, 2014

I have been very fortunate to have very supportive parents. But when a parent has an issue, I do my very best to take some time to sit down with them, listen, and see what agreement we can come up with.

I also give out my Google Voice number so that if anyone goes crazy, it'd be easy for me to document and/or block them.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2014

I don't think everyone is ever 'treated the same' as different kids have different needs. What's fair doesnt mean everyone gets the same...it means they get what they need. Keeping that in mind, I don't pander to helicopter parents, parents who make excuses to rationalize student behaviors or undue demands from parents. I do, however, give parents the chance to air their thoughts and then I very professionally communicate to them how I am meeting their child's needs and I leave NO QUESTION as to my best interests for their kids, point to student work, anecdotal notes, data and records, as well as my very educated rationale for how I'm handling whatever their issue is.

6. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 21, 2014

what do you mean by red carpet treatment?

Also what qualifies as a helicopter parent?

I've heard the term in this forum but I don't really know what it means.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2014

A helicopter parent "Hoovers" over the child.

I think a parent needs to be assured that you like their child and know what his needs are, and how he is doing. I like to be able to say something personal about every child when talking to a parent. The comment can be very simple, "I love it when Tommy smiles and lights up his cute eyes." A great comment can be about the day, "Did you see the picture that Susie painted?"

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2014

It depends on the level of difficult. I'm very, very fortunate that the vast majority of my parents are supportive and involved in their children's education without being a helicopter parent or a pain in my butt.

But on the occasion that I've had a difficult parent, I start small. All emails cc'd to a guidance counselor and AP. If things persist, conferences with guidance and the AP. Other teachers have a union rep present for any communication with the parent. And if it continues to be an issue - for example, verbal abuse, constant hounding, threats (these have happened to coworkers this year, not me), then the teacher is no longer required to communicate with the parent but instead receives a message from the P, responds, then the P responds to the parent.

Actually, the parent I referenced above actually had a restraining order against them by a teacher at the elementary school.

9. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

I think you should talk to the parents who want a different treatment for their child. You should explain them how their child is mixed with other kids, how he/she feels attached to other kids in the class and I hope that the parents will understand.

10. Kunika

Kunika New Member

Mar 28, 2014

They except more from their child but you have to told them about their child and try to understand them about the harmful effect of red carpet treatment.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2014

Likewise. :dizzy: