Differentiation

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by LoveKinder, Sep 9, 2011.

1. LoveKinder

LoveKinder Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

We need to use more differentiated instruction and less whole group. Is there anyone out there who does this and can give me some tips on how to implement this with all the curriculum I need to get through. I am totally lost. Thank You

3. Laurie12820

Laurie12820 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

I like to do a mix of whole group instruction (introducing the topic) and center work (practicing the topic). For example, if we are working on shapes, I'd give a whole group lesson and then have them head back to their small groups to work on a project/sheet/activity based on shapes.

4. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011

If you have any paras, use them for differentation. I have 2 writing groups, 3 math groups, and 6 guided reading groups with centers happening at the same time.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 10, 2011

Our whole group instruction for reading and math is limited to about 20 minutes. We teach the concepts for the lesson and then the kids work in workstations and meet in small group with me. In the workstations I have 3 different activities they can choose from-so they can get that challenge.

Even when the kids do independent work, different kids are getting different activities. We use a reading adoption that is introducing letters-well, I have some students who already know their letters, so while the other kids are working on a letter recognition activity, my readers are working on something different-more on their level.

My assessments are also different for different kids.