Differentiation with Everday Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jday129, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 2, 2009

I am an ESL teacher (although I am also certified to teach k-3). This year, I am doing inclusion for math for 2nd grade. We use everyday math. We have clustered the lowest ESL students together into this class so that there are 6 low language level students in this class while I am there. We have been differentiating by using math partners, pulling small groups, using the differentiation options suggested. But I still do not think we are meeting their needs, some are really too low to keep up with the whole class even with the extra support (ex, my students are barely able to count coins with help, but the class is working on making change)
    I need ideas on how to reach these lowest students. Any creative ideas?

3. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Nov 3, 2009

I am struggling with this as well. Unless they are cognitive impaired I need to be teaching them using Everyday math.

My principle did tell me that I could use a lower grade level book that works on the same skill but farther down the spiral.

I have been trying to work on that, but have not got very far.

4. alilac

alilac Rookie

Nov 4, 2009

I'm sorry, but I have to vent on this. Everyday math is the stupidest program I've ever seen. There. I've said it.