Differentiation tools for high school ELA?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by LittleShakespeare, Feb 28, 2018.

1. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

Feb 28, 2018

Hey, everybody! I hope you're all doing well. Oh my goodness, I just got back to my classroom today. I've been battling the flu FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS MONTH. Third time. I swear, next year, I'm getting flu shots. I knew I was in trouble the second my niece coughed in my face. Lol! :D

I had a question about differentiation. We had a PLC meeting last week about Danielson. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but one of the principals said that what makes a great teacher is one who differentiates instruction, who gears it towards all the diverse learners in the classroom.

I bought this lovely tool that can help me differentiate novels: https://www.teachersdiscovery.com/product/literary-tic-tac-toe-middle-school/english

I'm not sure if I can use this for an observation, but do you know of any other ways I can provide differentiation?

Thank you so much, everybody! Wishing you solidarity, strength, and a whole lotta Nyquil! :D

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2018

Do you have devices you can use? Newsela is a great free site / app that provides text at a student's reading lexile. NoRedInk is another great source for targeted grammar instruction.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  4. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Comrade

Feb 28, 2018

That would be wonderful. I hear some amazing things about Newsela. But forgive me, I have a personal question. I categorized my students according to their reading level: high, medium, and low. How do I assign them the specific Newsela article without being blatant? :(

5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Mar 3, 2018

Does your school have access to Newsela Pro? If so, you can have Newsela learn the reading levels of your specific students and it will auto-assign the appropriate Lexile level when that student clicks on the link while logged in.

6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Mar 3, 2018

I may be a history teacher, but I completely agree with using Newsela. We just got a PRO account this year and I love it. You can set up different classes in Newsela and select the grade level you want based on their reading levels. If we are doing an article as a class then I will tell the students the reading level to choose; otherwise I let them use the one Newsela has automatically set for them.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2018

I have heard that you can assign Readworks articles at different reading levels online to students in your class.

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 3, 2018

www.readtheory.org
    Its aligned to common core standards and gives kids a pretest to assess reading levels and then automatically assigns passages and comprehension questions at students identified reading level. ITS 100% free and Syncs with Google!