Differentiation of Instruction for 4 year old Pre-K Class

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by mrs.oz, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 11, 2006

Anyone have any good ideas for diferentiation of instruction? I am a public school pre-K teacher of 4 years. Our principal this year is making us focus on differentiation of instruction for those higher acheiving students. Anyone else pull children and challenge them in any way. I already teach groups in the spring when we have finished letters and sounds and the ones who are struggling review letters and sounds with the aide while the higher group gets to read and work on sounds.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2006

We also have to differentiate our instruction. Do you do guided reading groups? That's one way to differentiate...just by your choice of books that the kids will read and the skills that you use when you teach those groups. My lower kids are now simply working on left to right and finding the print on the page. My higher acheiving kids are starting to recognize some sight words and find them on the pages. I pull my guided reading groups during center time. It takes about 5 minutes per group, and I can usually grab 2 groups a day, along with all of the other assessing, general management and parent stuff that we do during centers.

With things like patterning, it's easy to make more complex pattern strips for those who can do it, and the same goes with math mats...have the more able make groups of higher numbers, or even start the combining of groups for basic addition.
    Kim

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 11, 2006

I teach 3's. I don't differentiate my groups, but i differentinate within the groups for particular kids (we have a slightly different group of kids every day, so don't have static groups). For instance, today, we were reaching into a bag, picking out a handful of leaves, counting them, then coloring the cooresponding # of leaves on a page. Some of my kids finished REALLY quickly, so I had them looking at the leaves and finding particular ones. For some kids, I simply asked them to find a green leaf or a spotted leaf. For my higher ones, I asked them to find, for instance, a leaf with 2 different colors that also has spots, or 2 different leaves that are both yellow and orange.

We do a lot of naming colors, numbers, letters, etc., esp. when dismissing from circle. We basically know which kids know which numbers/letters, so we can either pick ones we KNOW they know if they've had a tough morning, or challenge them with one that's a bit harder. For numbers, almost everything we do has the numeral and the numeral with the corresponding # of dots.... so if they don't know it right off the bat, they can count to find the right answer. We're constantly giving kids ones they don't know as well, so even my higher kids will have to count the dots (so it's not a negative thing).

We also differentiate in the kinds of questions we'd ask particular kids while reading a story, doing calendar, etc.

Hope that helps?