Differentiating Instruction in Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mnteacher1, Sep 7, 2007.

1. mnteacher1

mnteacher1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Hi

I am a 3rd and 4th grade teacher. I have to teach both math curriculum to different grade kids. I currently teach 1 grade one day and then the next day they work in their workbooks, and then switch.

I am finding that my higher math kids are bored because I am having to spend a lot of time with my lower kids. What do I do with my higher kids. DO I keep everyone together or should I let my higher kids move at a faster pace. I am guessing the latter answer, but how do I structure it so that all my kids get equal attention and instruction time. I do have some math centers, file folders games for them to work on but that will get old very quickly. :confused:

thanks Krista

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

find some math games for whatever it is your teaching. Whole group teach, then the higher kids go play the games to reinforce while you work with the lower kids.
    That's my plan, anyway....I'm going to have to do the same thing soon...

4. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 8, 2007

I have my higher kids on what I call a "math contract." They must listen to the lesson instruction, then they complete a problem solving sheet during independent practice. For homework, they take home the challenge pages. They also serve as a tutor one day a week as well as work on a chapter project that is basically an extention of the learning. If they finish all of that, I have logic puzzles, math brain teasers, and some math games for them to do. The students on contract with me self correct their work and staple it to the contract at the end of the chapter. They take the same quizzes and tests as the other students, and I grade their chapter project.

5. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Sep 8, 2007

I'm thinking of incorporating Guided Math. More work for me, but it's the only thing I can come up at the moment since all my kids are at different levels.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

I'm doing guided math this year. My kids are all over the place. I will have 4 groups, and teach to two groups each day.

Does your book have a reteaching and extension activity? Have the groups do those things when they meet with you. I also like the math contracts idea. I do something similar, but call it "independent math." They have packets they work on, and they keep track of the packets on a graph. They self correct them as well.

When they are not with me, they do problem solving, manipulative centers, games or computers.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

Check out Amazon for some books with great math puzzles that encourage mathematical/critical thinking. There are some great ones. I make my kids a supplemental math folder, chock full of great math puzzles and fun stuff. One great one is The Everything Kids' Math Puzzles Book. Also, I Hate Mathematics Book. Their math folders are kept in a special place and they may work in them sequentially when they are finished with the class math work. It has really worked well for my classes. You have to take a look at them every so often and do some corrections just to keep them interested.

You could also try Math Maven online. There are several great online sites that would challenge 3/4 graders if you give them computer access in the classroom.