Differentiating Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Sep 30, 2017.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 30, 2017

I teach 5th grade science and their homework usually consists of a problem of the day or nonfiction reading with comprehension questions/written response due every Friday. On Fridays I check only for completion, then we review it.

My students would benefit from differentiated homework but since we go over the homework, how can I do this if students have different homework?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 30, 2017

I use QR codes to differentiate homework. I give out the same piece of homework to all students but I put QR codes containing scaffolding such as hints, or websites where the answer may be found, or which page of the textbook to refer to etc. Students who are at a higher level should not be using the QR codes and students who do need the scaffolding can. I don't single out any particular student to give the worksheet containing the QR codes and another student the worksheet without. All students get the same sheet. I just trust that the students don't use the help of they don't need to.

futuremathsprof and AlwaysAttend like this.
  4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 30, 2017

That's a great idea but we don't have the available technology.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2017

Could you find articles that are available at different lexile levels? Ones that have similar content but are written for different levels of readers?

Or, could you give out different articles on the same topic (or different topics, whatever suits your content best) and have the students go over the homework in a cooperative learning format (something like a jigsaw) when it comes time to review?

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2017

Try Newsela ( https://newsela.com/ ) -- it has tons of articles (7ish each day published?) that are available at 3-4 different "levels". Same overall content, just sometimes more complex (with perhaps a bit more detail) for the higher levels.

You'd still be able to have discussions around the article as a whole, because they'll all have read the same information.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 30, 2017

Readworks also has passages with varying levels. The questions are the same for all the passages, but the difficulty level of the passages vary. They also offer the articles digitally, and you can assign audio to select students.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Sep 30, 2017

I was going to suggest Newsela as well. As stated already, the questions are a bit different depending on the reading level as are the details in the article, but I think you could still review by focusing on the content and/or questions that overlap. It might mean not going over every single thing on the page, but I would think that would be okay.

9. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Oct 1, 2017

If you're looking for the Readworks articles at varying levels, click on Stepreads. It's a great resource!

10. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 1, 2017

Thanks everyone! Newsela is fantastic! I've printed numerous articles from them.