Differentiated Math Instruction

Discussion in 'General Education' started by noelpall, Mar 16, 2009.

1. noelpall

noelpall Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

We use Everyday Math in my school district and we are heading toward differentiated instruction for math. We currently use the teir 3 model for language arts. Does anyone have any good ideas for differentiating Math instruction with the EDM series, we use the 2nd edition.::help:

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

I recently read a book named Differentiating Instruction in the Regular Classroom by Diane Heaton. There was an example that I look forward to figuring into my Everyday math teaching.

In short:
    Pretest. As results of the pretest you divide your students into groups.

Let's say they are divided as 3 aced the pretest, 11 did well enough to move ahead at a regular speed, and 10 really need help (interventions or reteaching).

You set out a menu with activities/higher-level thinking or critical-thinking challenges/problems of all levels.

After a beginning whole class activity, those top 3 go straight into the menu. The bottom 10 stay with you mostly for instruction as usual, and the middle 11 move in and out of instruction and the menu. The lower 10 WILL do the menu, just not as often. While they are working on their menu choices you work with the top 3 on extension teaching. At the end of the period, you come back and review the concept of instruction.

The Everyday math teacher's Manual is set up with TOO many things to do for each unit AND differentiated activities (not to mention the games. ANd you can always find online activities/problems) to fill in your menu with. i think the kids would really enjoy the challenge.

My college methods professor used to do this with her extremely mixed (ability-wise) class of 6th graders - and she would report it works WONDERFULLY!! (My methods teacher ideas: Each student makes up a folder (out of larger-sizes construction paper) with the menu on front and pockets inside for placing their work. She allows her students to skip around the menu as they wish. She also tells certain kids that they MUST do certain menu choices...or others that they must choose 3 from column A and at least one from Column B...or with the high students that they must choose the CHALLENGE level of 3 from column B and any 2 from column A. You get the idea.)

Try it for one unit- see how it goes.

4. noelpall

noelpall Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

Thanks It sounds like a great plan. I'll let you know how it goes!

5. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Mar 16, 2009

McKenna-- do you have a copy of a sample menu? I've thought of doing something similar to the set up you described but hadn't thought of a menu. I'd love to see a sample!!

6. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

We use EM3 in our district and our first grade team was really struggling w/ meeting everyone's needs in our homerooms. When we got to Unit 6, we decided to divide the kids up according to level (essentially tracking) - low, medium, high - based on their scores on previous assessments.

Each teacher (there are 3 of us) takes one group and adjusts each lesson for that group. The high flyers do the regular lesson quickly, then spend much more time on the enrichment activities and projects. The middle group moves through at a pretty steady pace. I have the low group and we spend a lot of time each day reviewing previous concepts. I also skip any "exposure" lessons so that they don't waste their energy on concepts that are ultimately insignificant according to the 1st grade assessments. For example, last chapter we had a lesson about range, mean, and medium - this NEVER appears again throughout the year. We skipped it completely and instead spent the time reviewing important concepts that they WILL be assessed on throughout the year.

We all REALLY like this model, the kids like switching classrooms for an hour, and I like the fact that I am able to get around the aspect of EM3 that I dislike the most (the lack of daily review of concepts - I know they spiral, but kids that struggle with math need to review things DAILY). It has made management MUCH easier and all of the groups are getting what they need. I have seen significant improvements in my groups assessment scores - they're really getting it! :)

P.S. We do re-evaluate our groups after each chapter and move kids as necessary...

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 17, 2009

Sent this to Beezus privately... but here it is for everyone

Here is a great paper found on line about differentiation strategies:

http://www.3villagecsd.k12.ny.us/Instructional_Technology/TchLrn/Differentinstructoverview.htm

Now last night i found a WONDERFUL link, and darned if i saved it!... no WAIT! I found it again!! (Yeah, me! I love researching on the net!!). Check out all the links on the side (especially the extension menu example - which gives you empty grids and also an example with points) ...GOOD STUFF!:

http://www.svlocal.org/staff/cgi-bin/frame.pl?page=files_page.pl&id=kxk05sv

So I went looking for it this morning, and though I didn't find that one...I DID find THIS link which is INCREDIBLE for devising menus for use with differentiation:

http://www.nisd.net/departments/giftedandtalented/gtac_handouts/MeaningfulMenus.pdf

Hope these give you a great number of ideas.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have found that great links don't always last... if you like it-you better make a copy of the information for yourself!

Oh gee, I sound like Beyonce... "If ya liked it, then ya shoulda put a ring on it!"

8. noelpall

noelpall Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

Wow! What great resources and info. Thanks so much!!

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 19, 2009

No problem... as I say I love research and designing curriculum.

My dream (retirement) job would be working for Mailbox Magazine.