Different than what I'm used to

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by FarFromHome, Jul 10, 2010.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

I'm moving in September and will most likely have to sub before getting a job. Their subbing process is a lot different than what I'm used to.

When I have tried to get a job-you have to interview with the state and can't contact schools individually. However, when you want to sub-you have to contact the schools directly and get on that school's sub list.

How many schools do you recommend I contact? How do you decide which schools to contact? It's hard to know who would need me!

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

No ideas??

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2010

I was gone all day yesterday! :) Does each school in the district have a website that you can look over to see if you think you'd like to work there? My (large 33-school) district has a site & then there's a site for ea school too. See what looks good & maybe contact 3-5 schools at first & see how those go. You can always contact more later.

OR

You can contact & interview w/ as many school s as you can so you'll be ready to be contacted as often as possible for when the new yr starts.

Good luck!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks!

Yes, most of them have websites. This may sound kind of weird, but when I'm looking at them, I've been looking at the teacher's names. We're moving to Hawaii and I've heard a lot about reverse racism over there. If all the teacher's names are Hawaiian, I feel like I have a less of a chance to get hired there. But who knows!

I'm thinking I'll contact them a week or two before I get there and try to set up interviews for the first week I get there.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2010

That sounds good! You my also want to look at this discussion board (below). It's not a teacher site, but you can learn a lot about Hawaii & ask questions about anything.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

7. azure

azure Companion

Jul 12, 2010

Around here one doesn't contact individual schools. You would contact the superintendent's office of a school district. I only work in one district now, but when I first started I worked in two. I guess it depends how far you're willing to drive.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

Hawaii is all state-wide, there is only one district. That's why it's confusing to me-I thought usually subbing went through the district! It seems to be a little weird to have to go up to schools individually to sub. I would like to sub somewhere that it's likely will have openings, but you can't contact schools about teaching positions-only for subbing.

9. waffles

waffles Companion

Jul 12, 2010

First off, the term reverse racism is a load of crap. Either there's racism or not. The reverse of racism would be no racism. And I hope everyone has to deal with that.

Anyway, I know for me it's through the district as well. However, the district above me is notorious for being a bad place to break into subbing. They have so many parents who want to volunteer that there's basically no need to have subs.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

THats tough, you dont want to apply to too many schools that you are always saying no...bc then they wont bother to call you to chance a "no" response.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

Yes-that's my dilemma! I'm thinking I'll contact 3 schools and if I don't get called for subbing, I'll contact more.

13. zenith

zenith Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

You should contact the schools within the area it is easy for you to reach. Once you visit the schools personally you will come to know