Different opportunity

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Simba, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

So, I am supposed to be board approved on Thursday for a permanent district sub position. This isn't exactly a LTS position. I report everyday to the same school and fill in all over the district. I had teh same position for 6 months last year as well.

My Director of HR called me today and told me that I was recommended by both himself and the P to sub for the Alternative School Coordinator until she returns from maternity leave in Jan.

I really don't know what her job entails. I know she's a liaison between the students, parents, teachers and administrators in this district.

I said I'd love to fill in and thanked him for the opportunity. He then said that I would definitely have my permanent sub position after the assignment, but they would love for me to cover whatever else may come up.

I report to the Director of the Alternative program on Weds. I really don't know what to expect. I think it would be great experience, but I'm really nervous.

Does anyone have any experience with a position like this?

Basically, the Alternative School is in 2 separate buildings from the high school and is for students trying make up past credits to graduate. This is a TOUGH group of kids. I have a yr. of experience working with 6th and 8th graders with similar difficulties.

Any thoughts?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

I have no experience with a position like that, but wanted to say "congratulations!"

4. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Me too! :)

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Sounds like a great opportunity to prove that you can wear various hats!

6. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Wow, they must think a lot of you to recommend you for the position! Congratulations!

7. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Thanks everyone!!!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

I agree with the others...I think it sounds like a great opportunity! Good luck!

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

It sounds like you will have some really good training doing this and you WILL make some definite connections. I hope it works out for you. You will need to let us know what the job entails. It sounds like coordinating.. but coordinating what? They must think a lot of you as this sounds like it could be something that might involve working with lots of different personalities (kids, parents and teachers. Sounds interesting. Take good notes and let us know!

10. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

You guys are great!! Thank you so much for all the kind words and great advice SCTeach.

I have a meeting with the Director tom. I will definitely update!!

Thank you!!!