Different math class ideas?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Hi All!!
    So I have the opportunity to design two different classes for the upcoming year. I am teaching at an alternative school, so two of the classes I already know what I am teaching, the other two I can basically do whatever I want. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and has any cool ideas? They need to be somewhat project based classes... I had the idea of doing like a remedial geometry class, and then doing like a consumer math class, but wanted some input for any other ideas... Thanks guys!

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Consumer math is a great idea. If you need real life examples, let me know, I'll PM you some stories from my current job that really highlight the need for various concepts (I work in a back shop area of a major bank...I have some stories, though they have to be "washed" a little to protect privacy).

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

mm got here first :(

About 10 year ago I taught a consumer math class. We covered every thing from buying insurance to buying a house to planning a trip to Europe-- and that was before we had internet access. now it would be far more fun!

The kids paid me rent each month for the use of the seats in my room; the check had to be written out correctly and they got no reminders. (moneyinstructor.com had some great checks you can download.) They balanced their checkbook and reconciled thier statements.

They bought a car-- a Saturn, because Saturn publishes a price list an there's no haggling. Of course, I made them get the anti-lock breaks, and that didn't leave them enough money for all the extras they wanted.

We "bought" the house across the street, and figured out both the monthly mortgage payments and the total they paid including interest. (Though I admitted to them that we did it using simple, not compound, interest and that their numbers weren't totally accurate.)

I paired them up and gave them the classified ads, along with a budget. Each pair of roomates had to decide on which apartment to rent. Then they had to iron out a ton of details, from who got the larger bedroom to who got the one parking space, and explain their reasoning.

It was such a great class!!!!!

5. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

Electronics

Depending on the math level, basic electronics is a good idea. A lot of math and building of simple circuits can be incorporated. Supplies wouldn't be too bad, not sure of budget you might have if any.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

Our math teachers would love time for statistics.