Different Direction

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nangel78, Sep 5, 2011.

1. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 5, 2011

Since the start of the school year, my life has become very busy. I will be subbing for three districts and working two other part time jobs. I am also doing the grad school thing.

I still want to become a teacher full time. I am looking at another angle. I have begun the process of applying for certification in Wisconsin. I have friends in the Chicago area who are stoked my husband and I are looking into this direction.

Can anyone tell me more about Wisconsin and their school system?

I have grown tired of the heat in Texas and want a change. I wasted too much time in banking for 5 years and cannot digest doing back to another lame cubicle job my heart is not into.

Thanks!!

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

First, I would like to congratulate you on doing everything it takes to get your foot in the door. I know at some point you will have your own classroom! Your dedication is unwavering! :)

Unfortunately, all I know about WI is that teachers have become public enemy #1 because of politicians in that state convincing everyone that public sector workers (except firefighters who make hefty campaign contributions to a specific party) are a cancer to taxpayers. Funding has recently been cut, and teachers no longer have the right to collective bargain any longer. Maybe that will change in the next round of elections? I do not know. Things are very loopy and unstable in WI.

4. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Sep 5, 2011

I don't have any information about WI but good for you for deciding to move - that's a huge decision I've been struggling with and I wish you lots of luck!

5. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 6, 2011

They cannot be any worse than Texas where our education is near the bottom of the country and we had major cuts too. Ugh. It is a shame too that education takes such a huge hit whenever cuts have to be made. I am not counting Texas out. I just want to see what else is out there.

6. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 6, 2011

I smiled when I saw Wisconsin! I actually just got a job and moved there a few weeks ago. I was looking there because I knew people in the area and because there were a LOT more job openings than in MI where I'm from. There is some stuff going on here with the legislature because (as another poster mentioned) collective bargaining rights were taken away and the retirement and insurance rules changed a bit, but I think a lot of it has settled down since the decisions have been made. A lot of teachers retired this past year because they didn't want to have to start contributing to their pension or pay a higher percentage of their insurance, so I think that's what partly caused the increase in postings. (I applied to hundreds of postings in the lower half of WI alone, compared to about 10 in all of Michigan.) The policy changes don't bother me- I am a first year teacher just happy to have a job and a paycheck!- but I can see if I had been teaching for 30 years and now all of the sudden had to start paying more, I might be upset. (Just for reference, I pay $87/mo for insurance and it would've been $20/mo last year. A huge jump, yes, but definitely still affordable with the salary.)

As far as the schools, I am in a bigger district (11,000 students?) but that is by far the largest in the county- most are smaller. I love the district I am in and everyone I've talked to seems to love it as well. One thing that I find kind of funny is that they talk of having cut to the "bare bones" because of the economy, but they still have many more resources than a lot of districts in MI. :) Most everything in my classroom has been provided for me, and what hasn't I am able to be reimbursed for. My district has laid off some people over the past several years, but most or all were recalled back before the end of the summer (and no layoffs this year with so many retiring) so, that's encouraging to me as someone who's at the bottom of the totem pole!

I like living in WI a lot, but that is partly because it's similar to MI. I am near the Milwaukee area, which is great because there are lots of smaller towns with the whole community feeling and everything nearby. However, there is also a ton of stuff to do in the city, which is only a half hour away from me and easy to drive into. I don't know how it compares to Texas since I have not been there. (I've heard it gets super COLD here in the winter though- I'm sure that's different from Texas!) ;)

Sorry for the long post, but I am just excited about WI and am happy to hear that you were pursuing a job here! :)

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

$87 for insurance is really good! I am buying my own insurance and am paying close to $500 a month!

8. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Sep 6, 2011

HOPE-ful,

I sent you a pm. Yes I want to make this happen. I know it will take a lot of work, but I am excited about the job search again.

What did you have to do transfer your certification since you are out of state as well?

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 6, 2011

I hope Wisconsin works out for you.