Different answers from different people

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Mar 23, 2018.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 23, 2018

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2018

I don't think it's just you or your school: it's likely all schools to varying extents (depending on the strength of leadership, staff, and communication systems in place).

Those tend to be the biggest frustrations for me, too, and why I feel as though I haven't really felt 100% with my curriculum path/pace especially in writing/reading: when people (generalized) agree to one thing and then end up doing or saying another thing. Then again, I think to some extent it's inevitable, as part of our goal is to be flexible, and sometimes we will all make errors in communication. But I digress...

4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 23, 2018

What you describe is a well-studied phenomenon that unfortunately exists in many different workplaces. I spent several years studying management practices in schools which included the curious effect known as the Peter principle. Back in 1969, an educator by the name of Laurence Peter came up with a new concept in management theory that eventually found its way into a movie and TV series by the same name. The Peter principle, in its simplest form, states that employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, whereas "managers often rise to the level of their incompetence".

As many of us have seen, individuals in our schools are often hired as administrators despite their incompetence. Our tendency is to dismiss their frequent miscommunications and illogical directives as the result of having too much on their plate or as mere mistakes when in reality their incompetence is often the cause of our undue stress and frustration. Those of us who have worked at dysfunctional schools can testify that the Peter principle is alive and well!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Missy likes this.
  5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 23, 2018

It’s definitely not just your school. :dizzy:

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2018

If you're in a union, they should take it to admin.

7. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Mar 23, 2018

I have learned this over a lifetime of working...I never worry about what my 'boss' or "superior" or "admin" MIGHT be thinking as I never really know until they talk to me. Therefore, I just assume that I am doing a good job until told otherwise. If they are not telling me otherwise then either A) I am doing a good job or B) they can't or won't tell me for whatever reasons they might have for not doing so. Either my bosses think I am doing a good job. Or I am not and they are too incompetent or impotent to acknowledge it. This mindset frees me from unnecessary worry about what others might be thinking.Feel free to use this advice or ignore it as you see fit.

BTW, your students and peers know what kind of job you are doing. If you are intuitive enough all the feedback you ever really need will come from these two groups.

Backroads and Been There like this.
  8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Mar 24, 2018

We have a new academic coach this school year. She will say something at a meeting, then turn around and act like she never said that. It is SO annoying. Or Admin will say something completely opposite. Ugh! But likeGTB4GT, I just do my personal best. I have been teaching long enough to know I am doing a good job. If they want to attack me, they can... sometimes it is just about staying out of the way.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2018

We all have the right to know...but it's on a need to know basis. When they feel like telling you, that's when you need to know. No sense in keeping the memo that says, effective immediately.... by 4:00p.m. you will get another memo. Make sure you keep that memo that says, "Don't keep any memos." But, they will ask you for a copy of your memo that they just gave you, since they don't know where their memo is.:confused:

I had administrator change my schedule in the middle of the day. Swooped in and asked me why we weren't taking a bathroom break. I look around, and she points to the new schedule that I apparently did not see. Must have slipped it in their while stealing more of my stuff. I digress.... Okay, what happened to the 'Don't-stop-children-in-the-middle-of-an-activity' you know- have some transition thingy?? Yeah, right. "Everybody freeze - we're going to the bathroom, yeah, we're going to the bathroom"....sigh...

You are not alone.

That's why we have Spring Break.....

otterpop likes this.