Difference between AP and Regular

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.SLS, May 22, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 22, 2013

I find myself in the situation of being assigned AP classes to teach. I've never taken an AP class, and never actually even been at a school that's offered them before.

So, what are some of the major differences in instruction? Obviously it's an elevated level of content and the AP exam at the end, but I know there has to be more than that.

I teach English, btw.

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 22, 2013

More independent accountability for the students. Methods of instruction really don't change too much on your part. Whatever you can do to prep them for the exam and meet the AP standards.

You didn't specify which AP English class you're teaching, but I'd recommend reading the teacher guides (AP Lit, AP Comp) as well as checking out the exam pages (AP Lit, AP Comp).

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 22, 2013

Go to a workshop! I went to one this past summer and it was so helpful! College Board's website has tons listed.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 22, 2013

Yes, go to a workshop. If you can't do that, look at the College Board website for info about the test. I teach AP Bio, and they have a ton of resources available. I also signed up for the AP Bio teacher forums. I think they have password-protected forums for every subject.

In addition, ask your administrators for the AP test scores from past years. Do most students at your school pass the AP test or not? If most students are getting 4's and 5's, you can teach a true AP class. If most students are getting 1's, you'll be spending a lot of time on remediation.

Finally, are you teaching AP Lit or AP Language?

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 22, 2013

I believe it is AP language. I am going to a training in July, but I'd like to start mulling things over before then. What are the good forums?

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 22, 2013

I like using Ning. College Board has lots of documents too. This was my first year teaching our AP Lang course so I'd be happy to correspond via email and share documents. Just PM me.

Is this a new course or an existing one?

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

May 22, 2013

I'll find out more when I visit the new school in a couple weeks.