Difference between 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by DanaAnn, Jul 17, 2019.

1. DanaAnn

DanaAnn New Member

Jul 17, 2019

Hello all! I have recently been hired as a Middle and High School English teacher at a small private school. I'm teaching 6th-12th grade English (YIKES). I have experience with teaching 9th-12th, but I'm struggling with forming a 6th-8th grade English curriculum, as I am not sure what specific elements each grade needs to learn. All the material I keep finding basically has each grade focus on the same elements in writing (narrative, expository, etc.), and isn't giving me clear information regarding what 6th graders need to learn in English, then what 7th graders need to learn from there, and then 8th grade. I'm struggling with finding the foundational things each grade needs to learn that differentiates each grade from the next, and shows a developing knowledge of English rather than just practicing the same types of writing, and reading new novels.

I hope the question makes sense here. I'm basically asking this: what should I be teaching in 6th grade English classroom that is specific to 6th grade and provides a foundation for 7th grade, what should I be teaching in 7th grade that is specific to 7th grade and provides a foundation for 8th grade, and finally what should I be teaching 8th grade that is specific to 8th grade and provides a foundation for 9th grade?

Any help, suggested materials, assignments, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated!!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 17, 2019

At the middle school I worked at (California public) all three grades were working on the same types of skills, but as the grade level went up, so did the level of complexity expected in those areas. For instance, in writing, each grade taught students three styles; argumentative, informational and narrative, but at each grade, different aspects of each were taught, with an increased level of sophistication. The California standards look like every year is the same, but when you drill down you'll see that they change.

In 6th the first argumentative standard is - Introduce claim(s) and organize the reasons and evidence clearly.

In 7th - Introduce claim(s), acknowledge alternate or opposing claims, and organize the reasons and evidence logically.

In 8th - Introduce claim(s), acknowledge and distinguish the claim(s) from alternate or opposing claims, and organize the reasons and evidence logically.

The bolded text is the difference from the year before. It is very much a spiraling set of standards.

RainStorm likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2019

RainStorm likes this.
  5. McFarland

McFarland New Member

Jun 25, 2020

6. McFarland

McFarland New Member

Jun 25, 2020

Any recommendations/ideas as for the interactive materials to use in the classroom? Thank you beforehand.