Diff in Kaplan vs' Princeton Review for CBEST?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Counz2BLiz, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I am just wondering if anyone has both books and could tell me if the Kaplan is more difficult than the Princeton Review? My Kaplan is a 2004 and the Princeton is a 2002 2nd edition. I noticed a big difference in the math questions, the Princetion is less wordy, the Kaplans makes you have to really think about your questions.

Anyway just wondering what will be more typical of the real exam.

Thanks in advance,
    Liz

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 8, 2007

You've indicated that you won't be facing any CSET, so I think you'll find the Princeton adequate for CBEST prep. Interesting about the Kaplan, though.

4. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

no CSET if I can avoid it, whew, it is going to be all I can do to pass this without taking a refresher course. My problem is remembering how to set each problem up, it seems that each type has a set up just a little diferent. To me, it is a lot to remember. As for the Kaplans I miss the boat on the exams and I pass well with the Princeton. The difficulty is definitely bumped up on the Kaplans. I just hope that the Kaplans is not as totally representative of the CBEST as is the Princeton. I guess I will let everyone know after Sat. Pass or fail. Given I miss the boat I am determined to pass so if at first I don't succeed, try try again.

I will be picking up my snickers bar tomorrow, chocolate, mmmm!

Liz

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

So ask a math question here. Someone's bound to come along and help.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2007

I know SAT, not CBEST.

But Princeton Review tends to concentrate on testing strategy, not as much as content. They have a whole system set up on how to approach each problem. Some of it depends on where in the test the problem is placed (they're ordered from Easy, Medium, to Hard on the SAT)-- things like that.

And I'm one of those people who can help in math-- as is TG-- what are your questions??

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

Alice, CBEST is the local equivalent of Praxis I/PPST. The strategies-and-attitudes approach of Princeton Review tends to be good for people who struggle with basic skills tests: half the time the problem isn't that they can't do the math, it's that they think they can't do the math.

(Hint, hint, people: Stop bad-mouthing your brains, please.)

8. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

Counz2BLiz,
    Good luck tomorrow. I am taking the test too! I have been working all of the practice tests like a maniac and wondering why some of the books seem so much harder than others and all of them are so different from the official practice test on the cbest website. Certainly compared to the official test, the practice books are really hard! Finally, yesterday I went back and looked at the actual specifications of the math portion and was relieved to find that it really is just "basic" math. TeacherGroupie pointed it out weeks ago but I missed the big hint!

Here is the link: http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/PDFs/CBESTUpdatedTestSpecs.pdf

Hopefully, once you read it, you will feel more confident and relieved as I did! Good luck and post back after to let us know how it went.

9. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

Ok Ok, whew I can breathe now! I took the test earlier and so glad it is over. I have no idea how I did??? I know the first half was harder than the second half. None of which was as difficult as Kaplans. To me Princeton was more similiar to the test. It is not that any of it was hard, it was all about how to set up problems for me that is the most difficult to do. Now I just pray I passed. I guess I will know in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for all the support.

Fidoprincess I hope you did well and pass:)

Liz

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 10, 2007

Liz, make sure you do something nice for yourself now.

11. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Feb 11, 2007

Liz, Thanks for the well wishes! I hope you passed too.

Didn't you think it was much easier than any of the practice books? Maybe the reading was similar but the math seemed much easier to me. I never did have the Princeton book but the Kaplan book seemed a much higher level than the test itself. I know what you mean about setting up the problems though, I finally had to say to myself stuff like "is means =" for some of those word problems just to set them up right. On my test, all the same type of questions were grouped together and that made it really easy. Was yours like that? I did not notice that the first half was any different than the second half, did you mean on the math?

Now for the waiting....seems so long to wait and find out. Why does it take so long if machines do most of it except for the writing?! Post back when you get your scores! I'll be crossing my fingers for all of us to pass.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2007

Math and reading scores typically get posted a week or so before the writing scores go up. I'd guess that a good deal of the lag time goes to logistics: everything probably goes to Sacramento, then the essay sheets need to be separated from the reading/math answer sheets, and the chances are pretty good that someone checks first to make sure that the sheets all have the same test taker identifier on them; then the essay sheets get parceled out to readers, and bear in mind that each essay is read by at least two different readers (and sometimes three) and that essays that didn't pass then need to be assigned diagnostic scores; meanwhile, the multiple choice answers need to be processed, and the chances are very good that a certain amount of error-checking happens during the process; and the passing score even in the multiple choice questions isn't just the raw score correct, so those computations need to be made; and if someone's pointed out a possible bad question that wasn't one of the set being field-tested, there may need to be recalculation of results to correct for that; and so on. And a company that doesn't want lots and lots of grief will surely build some additional time in, in case of disaster.

None of which makes it any easier to await the results, fidoprincess, I know, and you have my sympathy there.

13. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 12, 2007

Hello Fido Princess,

Yes, the Test was much easier than Kaplans. It was very easy, like I said it was a matter of knowing how to set the problems up. I only took the math portion but I felt that the second half of the qustions were easier and they did seem to be grouped together.

Now it is ANTICIPATION. You would think in this day and age with the technology we have that we could take the exam on the computer and the score would show immediately. Hopefully someday they will get out of the dark ages. I pray I passed, I took it once before after having studied a long time ago and missed the math by 4 missed problems or at least my score was 4 less than passing. That was horrible. We should receive an unofficial email stating our score, you can look it up online and get the grade about 2 days prior to that by going on their web site. Good luck!;)

Teacher Groupie,

I am on such pins and needles I will do something nice for myself when it is confirmed I passed. For me it is not all that life threatening that I pass, it is just such a confidence crusher if I don't. It is just funny that I have my Master's degree, have has math as high as Stats, passed the CA Real Estate exam the first time but I can't get through simple math. Well I am going to belive that I passed it this time, after as many prayers that went out on this one, I believe they were;) answered. God is Good!;)

I will be back to share my experience with my passing score:angel:

Thank you again for all the support,
    Liz

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

Nope, nope, nope, Liz: You need to do something for yourself now, by way of congratulating yourself for having gotten through the test day. (This is by way of helping to detoxify, at least by a little, the whole test-taking thing.)