diets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by diggerdeb, Dec 25, 2005.

1. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Dec 25, 2005

It must be January.
    It must be time for a new diet.
    I hate deciding what to eat.
    I want someone to make up menus that are three meals a day and about 1500 calories.
    Any websites that do this for FREE?

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 25, 2005

That's something I'm definetly interested in, too!

4. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2005

Nutrisystem does that kinda ..of course there is a fee ..lol

weight watchers is online now ..i re4ally liked that diet u can decide what you eat or they give you menus

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Dec 26, 2005

Is weight watchers very expensive?

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2005

This is what I do:
    Breakfast- Lean Pocket, Slimfast shake, protein bar, or bagel (watch the calories on this one!) with fat free cream cheese or laughing cow light swiss spread
    Lunch- chicken noodle soup, tomato soup w/ fat free cheese, low fat frozen dinner (lean cuisine, healthy choice, smart ones etc), macaroni and cheese made w/ skim milk and no butter
    Dinner- whole wheat spaghetti, turkey burger w/ fat free cheese and salsa on top (no bun), chicken breast, fish, etc
    Snacks- diet soda, baked chips with salsa, dryers grand light ice cream, 100 calorie pack cookies, popcorn, beef jerky (watch the brand! Some are good, some are really fatty)
    I've lost about 25 pounds. I try to stick to this from Monday morning until Friday at five- and then I can have whatever I want on the weekends! I followed this really well for about a year and a half, but it's hard to do in the dorms...

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2005

I HAVE to do something too!!!! Clothes are to tight, they must be all shrinking in the dryer so pleeeaaaasssseeee give me some tips.

8. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2005

Danny's Nanny that sounds pretty good! I eat alone a lot b/c of my hubby's job. He doesn;t get home until like 7 or later so I don;t usually wait for him to eat. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted :) But since I turned 25 (I know its not old) things are starting to change. I am almost 27 and things aren;t burning off as fast as they used to. Maybe I will try your diet!

Thanks

9. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Dec 27, 2005

wow! Sounds like we could almost start our own support group!:)

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 27, 2005

I have this wonderful cook book, its called a month of meals, and its for Diabetics but not JUST for diabetics, its got sections for breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks, you mix and match the the menues, it even inclues what to order when you go to Mc Donalds,and wendy and Arbys and Pizza hut. All the days meals add up to about 1500 calories and can be fixed for 1200 or 1800 calorie diets. But they aren't diet food they are just healthy options. They divide the day up where breakfasts are about 350 callories and lunch is about 500 calories and snack for 100 calories and then dinner. I got this cookbook at a secondhand bookstore but try seeing if your library has one or two. I think that the full price for one is like $21 but I paid half at the second hand bookstore.

11. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 27, 2005

Incase you want to know what they suggest for ordering out here are some: Pizza Hut, 2 slices of pizza on the thin crust, load up on veggie toppings! Arbys: Arby's regular roast beef, side salad with fat free dressing. McDonalds: egg mc muffin, no cheese (for breakfast) regular hamburger and small fry for a lunch (ask them to add tomato and lettuce), Wendy's chili and side salad with lo fat or fat free dressing. I'll try to find my list of 100 callorie snacks, but i know one is 5 hershey kisses :) And Mother's cookies sells sugar free cookies that are very good, Russel stover sells sugar free candies that are good and so are the sugar free Baskin & Robbins flavored hard candy they taste just like ice cream!--and pickles are a free food on a diabetics diet!
    Any body can follow a diabetic diet, its less carbs and less sugar, but I lost a lot of weight initally--I went back to bad eating habbits
    :( Switching to diet pop was hard for me, but the flavored ones like lime and cherry aren't so bad. Splenda is great for tea, the packets don't foam up like the regular kind.

I hope these hints will be helpful to some!

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2005

That sounds pretty good! I know what you mean, about eating in the dorms ...no veggies in sight and NO good protine ! I bring up carrots for quick snacks and chicken breasts that u can microwave ..really easy and lo cal

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 27, 2005

ABall - are you diabetic? Sorry if that's too personal.

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 27, 2005

yes, I am. I went a long time with out going to the doctor because I didn't want anyone telling me I couldn't have my sweets. Big mistake, I could be taking less medicine if I got to a doctor earlier. And then at the nutrition classes I took, I learned how to have the sweet stuff too, I fudge a little hear and there, but When I get my blood tests results they have been coming out pretty good, doctor is pleased. Now if I could just loose the weight again. I need to find a new hobbie to I guess, I love baking, but its not good for any of us.

I try to keep some nuts around so I can grab a handful when I don't have anything else to give me a boost. I also love having a cut up apple with peanut butter. And pita pizza. Once you figure out what a "carb choice" is its easy to cut carbs. The basic pitas are 2 carb choices some are less, and the sauce is "free" and the cheese is the protien plus I take about 3-4 peperoni slices and slice them in half and dot them on top. for the meal. :) think I'll make one for lunch.

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 27, 2005

in case some one didn't know what I ment by "carb choice" thats something that is 15-19 grams of carbohydrates, most people can have 2-3 carb choices per meal and 1-2 snacks if you do this then the calories seam to fall in place. (watch things like mayo that have no carbs but lots of calories) If you have a sandwich with 30 grams of carbs then thats two "carb choices" if you are allowing your self three carb choices have your sandwich a salad with fat free dressing, (I like Italian or cesar) and about 15 small twist pretzels.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 27, 2005

I worked really hard at my diabetic diet for about 18 months. Lost about 35 pounds, felt great, blood sugar around 100. Then in October I just decided that I wanted to eat cookies again. Then donuts and cake. My weaknesses. So I gave in and gained all the weight back. My sugar levels are around 135 now. I increased the meds a bit but I have to get serious after New Years.

Those are some great hints. I didn't take a nutrition course but am pretty knowledgeable. Do you use the low carb bread (Arnold and Pepperidge Farms has it)? It has only 6 or 7 carbs per slice. What about pasta? The low carb really has to cook for a long time to get soft. The sugarless stuff wreaks havoc with my stomach if it has Splenda in it. Regular ice cream or Edy's light doesn't have too many carbs. I'm just going to have to do it ..... all over again. Yuck.

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 28, 2005

I do like the low carb bread I think its pepperidge farm. You really should take a diabetic nutrition class, its very helpful, mine was about 2 hour blocks over 6 weeks, one of them was a foot check by a nurse, I didn't go to that because my doctor had just done it. But it made me think about what I was eating, but it aslo gave a litte false thinking, they said a carb is a carb, no matter what, but thats not really true, there are things that get digested slower, but I tend to think, oh, a carb is a carb, I will eat a slice of pie instead of a turkey sandwich and an orange, because they are the same amount of carbs.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

And my doctor told me not to worry about carbs too much, just lose weight. I don't think that is true either. Complex carbs are beneficial, simple carbs are dangerous. I do indulge in mashed potatoes, though, because I can't resist especially when they go with the meal.

I take avandia and metformin and they work.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

Rosie that happens to me all the time to. I don't understand it. LOL.
    Now I hang my cloths up to dry and they still seem to be shrinking around my thigh area.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

I wasn't trying to loss weight two yrs ago but in March 2004 I decided to stop drinking soda, and gaterade. I used to drink only Gaterade every day, and soda once in a while. Well I stopped and now try to drink three 16 ounce bottles of plain water. The first 4 months I lost 8 pounds. Then I got food poisoning and lost another seven. I gained the seven back and I hover around 122. So the point is try cutting out those fruit juices, sport juice and soda. See what happens.

My menu is I eat when I'm hungry.
    I usually have a bowl of cereal or no breakfast if I'm not hungry. Then I have a granola bar for snack. For lunch I eat yogurt with cheese its.
    I used to eat Campbell's soup at hand with gold fish (but that yr I gained 10 pounds LOL). Anyway I can't eat the soup any more. It has to much salt and my fingers get all swollen.
    For afternoon snack I have a couple cookies or something.
    Then for dinner I eat what ever is made for dinner.

Did any one see on tv last night the lady that lost around 30 pounds by only eating at McDonalds? I thought it was so silly. Yes she ate there but she didn't always get french fries and hamburgers. Sometimes she would get a salad. And she started walking and exercising. Hmmmmmmmm I bet the exercise helped her lose some weight lol.

21. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 28, 2005

It sounds like the lady was trying to be like that guy from Subway that lost all that weight, Jarid. But he was very consistant at what he ate there and it probably worked for him because it was less food than he normally ate.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

And what about that movie where the guy only ate McDonalds and ended up really ill?

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

This woman was trying to disprove that man's theory or something.

24. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 28, 2005

Okay I am ready to start excerising and eating better. I went to the doctor today and I am not happy with how much I weigh. I am not fat but I would like to lose 10 pounds. I always gain more weight when I am in school but now it is time to do something about it.
    I lost weight 2 years ago when I had cut out junk food and regular soda. I drink only diet caffeine free now. I have to drink more water.

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

Go with the water AMK you can do it!

26. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2005

I need to drink more water too! But I am off for a run right now! Say a prayer that I can make it :)

27. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2005

I used Cortislim to jumpstart my weight loss and it gave me the motivation to eat healthier. I think the key to weight loss is lifestyle change....

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2005

I agree. Anything in moderation isn't bad, just change eating habits if you haven't already. Whole wheat pastas and grains (I prefer the WW pasta to begin with...less starchy), drink water (flushes you out well and keeps the oxygen flowing in your body), eat fruits and veggies, fat-free condiments (once you start using them you don't notice the difference anymore after awhile...unless you're my husband;)). I use a lot of fresh garlic in my cooking as well...good for your body and health.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 28, 2005

I need to start exercising more. I think I might join a gym. I can' t wear dresses any more. They are either to tight on the bottom or to big on the top!

30. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2005

Yes It can be ..but I found I stuck to it because I HATE wasteing money! Now that I have the stuff I just follow it by myself!

31. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Dec 30, 2005

Before I got married I did the anna nicole thing and tried TrimSPa and I have to say it worked great and I was happy with the results till I went on my dang honeymoon and ate like a cow.. Stupid all inclusive resorts and my lack of will power are to thank for that! But I am thinkin of starting it back up if I can not fine a free diet website..

32. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

"dang honeymoon" - HAHAHAHAHA!!

33. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Dec 30, 2005

the best and the worst thing i have done n the past 2 years!!!

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 30, 2005

You're still making me laugh!!! Where did you go? (I don't want to ask - what did you do?)

35. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Dec 31, 2005

I went to an all inclusive resort in Mexico and we het all 11 restraunts!!!

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2005

I would have done the same thing!

37. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 31, 2005

Trim Spa really works?! Did you follow a special diet or exercise program? How much weight did you lose and how long did it take you to lose it? - If I am getting too personal, just ignore me.

38. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2005

Does trim spa make you feel wired? I can;t stand that jumpy feeling you get from taking those diet pills.

39. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jan 1, 2006

Have any of you ever tried ediets.com? Just wondering how that was...........

40. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 2, 2006

I lost a total of about 10 pounds in about 2 months give or take few lbs and days. It did not make me feel funny after the first day, the first day i felt wierd but as my body got used to it I was fine. All herbal ingredients. No jumpiness either. No special excersizing or I am sure I would have lost more weight! I hate exercize.

41. teach0031

teach0031 New Member

Jan 5, 2006

I have found at school I get hungary. I put a bowl of fruit like apples and oranges on my desk. If the kids have a snack I'll eat the fruit. I try to increase my water intake too. Light and healthy snacks have helped me fight off those hefty calorie foods. Make healthy food accessible and unhealthy more difficult to find.