Diet tips

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherNY, May 26, 2009.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 26, 2009

3. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 26, 2009

Exercise, exercise, exercise.

Drink lots of water.

Eat what you want.

It's all about calories in and calories burnt. Less than 1200 calories a day is starvation. 1800 feels like starvation. So does 2000. It's easily done to calculate the amount of calories you need for a specific weight in your body type. Use the internet but a doctor or nutritionist would have more specific information.

Some foods metabolize differently for different people, men to women, body type to body type. High protein burns, simple carbs get stored is a good general rule, though it's not a hard and fast one.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

I think the most important thing that you can do that makes 100% difference to me is writing down what I eat. I read a study that said journaling your food, even if you don't write down calories or points or anything, is the most important factor in following any diet.

Today, for example, I was driving to work, and I was trying to remember the last time I ate a vegetable. I think I went all weekend without eating any, except maybe a piece of lettuce on a sandwich. And I LIKE veggies - i just don't pay attention to what I eat.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

Although most of the ideas on that list are good, having such a long list is kind of overwhelming!

I'd say these:

1. Exercise every day, even if it's just a little bit. As you get more comfortable with physical exertion, add a few extra minutes until you can do 30 minutes per day at least 3 times per week.

2. Include strength training in your exercise routine, once you're comfortable with exercising. I didn't realize how important strength training was and how much it influences weight loss until I started it for the first time this year. I've lost around 35 pounds this year, and the ONLY thing I did different this time around (compared to all the other times I've tried losing weight) was adding in exercise on the machines at the gym. I try to make sure that I include at least one exercise for each muscle group: arms, back, chest, shoulders, legs, abs.

3. Get over your mistakes. Just because you blew it earlier in the day when you had chicken strips for lunch doesn't mean that you have to spend the rest of the day eating garbage. Pick yourself right back up and don't be mad at yourself. Sometimes that stuff just happens.

4. Tell people about your goals. Friends and family members can help monitor your success, and they might notice changes in your body even when you can't.

5. Listen to your body. Before, at several points during, and after meals, ask yourself if you're really hungry, still hungry, just about right, getting a little full, or totally stuffed. You shouldn't be at either end of that spectrum--if you're starving, you're probably going to overeat; if you're stuffed, you've obviously eaten too much.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 26, 2009

Yes, that is one of the 100 tips! I agree, it's a good idea.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2009

I'm Doing the 3-Day Diet

I have a full month to lose weight for when I attend my mom's friend's retirement party. I want to look HOT & I'll be starting the 3-day diet this week. They're regular, healthy foods that you can get from the store & it's the combo of eating these foods that can make you lose up to 10 pounds a week!

I've tried it before & lost 7-8 in a week.

Anyone can feel free to PM me to know the details!

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 26, 2009

Remember that certain types of diets work for certain types of people--low fat, low carb, low calorie, etc. For me I have to do low carb/high protein. It's the only thing that works.

Get in tune with hunger. It's so easy to eat when you're not even hungry.

Aim to drink 64 fl. oz. or more of water a day.

I've found that I'm more happy when I'm not "on a diet". Bethenny Frankel (from Real Housewives of NYC) wrote Naturally Thin. The main concept is being overall mindful about your eating habits so you don't have to diet.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2009

I know another one - Wear a belt! If you wear a belt every day, you will definitely notice if you start to gain weight.